Q: Personal magnetic fields: Protection from space radiation

In summary: Personal shielding is a space suit.And there is a practical reason that using a big magnet is not a very good way to try to shield yourself in space -- can you think of what that reason might be? :smile:Big magnet = big mass - very impractical to lug around. You can moderate that with more power, but, more power also = big mass. You must also consider magnetic saturation of your field coil core before you go power crazy.
Algren
I have no idea how lethal/strong space radiation is, but i do have an idea that most of it is from the sun perhaps?
I also know that the prime factor to deflect this radiation is magnetic field and the ozone layer. I think the magnetic field handles only particle radiation and atmosphere handles the e/m radiation? idk.

What i wish to ask if there is a naked human out in space, where should i locate a personal magnet (to optimize strength/protection) and how strong should it be to protect from that part of radiation which can be deflected by the magnetic field efficiently?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Algren said:
I have no idea how lethal/strong space radiation is, but i do have an idea that most of it is from the sun perhaps?
I also know that the prime factor to deflect this radiation is magnetic field and the ozone layer. I think the magnetic field handles only particle radiation and atmosphere handles the e/m radiation? idk.

What i wish to ask if there is a naked human out in space, where should i locate a personal magnet (to optimize strength/protection) and how strong should it be to protect from that part of radiation which can be deflected by the magnetic field efficiently?

You can start with this NASA page about how astronauts are protected in space...

http://srag.jsc.nasa.gov/spaceradiation/how/how.cfm

:smile:

berkeman said:
You can start with this NASA page about how astronauts are protected in space...

http://srag.jsc.nasa.gov/spaceradiation/how/how.cfm

:smile:

The info about radiological ground/terra support and radiological on site support with the help of prediction programmes and detection instruments is interesting. This only tells me how the safety of a mission is judged, and not about the actual materials used to protect the astronauts first hand from the radiations, and certainly not how different types of radiations are deflected by different anti-radiation equipment.

berkeman said:
Oops, apologies. I only skimmed it after finding it via Google.

This link does discuss shielding as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_threat_from_cosmic_rays

Thanks, although it still doesn't seem to answer the question of personal shields. Its assuming 5m toroidal sizes, when actually all a human needs at max is a sphere of diameter 3m. How expensive would the hybrid version of a personal shield be though? and another q: how large is the toroidal analogue of Earth's magnetic field?

+ Apparently, the few references i saw about the impossibility of hybrid magnetic field are older than me, so i guess its outdated? I'm pretty sure shielding is very important if you're planning to settle humans in mars, because Mars has very low shielding.

Algren said:
Thanks, although it still doesn't seem to answer the question of personal shields. Its assuming 5m toroidal sizes, when actually all a human needs at max is a sphere of diameter 3m. How expensive would the hybrid version of a personal shield be though? and another q: how large is the toroidal analogue of Earth's magnetic field?

+ Apparently, the few references i saw about the impossibility of hybrid magnetic field are older than me, so i guess its outdated? I'm pretty sure shielding is very important if you're planning to settle humans in mars, because Mars has very low shielding.

Personal shielding is a space suit.

And there is a practical reason that using a big magnet is not a very good way to try to shield yourself in space -- can you think of what that reason might be? :smile:

Likes davenn
Big magnet = big mass - very impractical to lug around. You can moderate that with more power, but, more power also = big mass. You must also consider magnetic saturation of your field coil core before you go power crazy.

1. How do personal magnetic fields protect against space radiation?

Personal magnetic fields work by creating a protective barrier around the individual, deflecting charged particles and preventing them from penetrating the body. This helps to reduce the harmful effects of space radiation exposure.

2. Are personal magnetic fields effective against all types of space radiation?

No, personal magnetic fields are most effective against charged particles such as protons and electrons. They may not be as effective against other types of space radiation, such as gamma rays.

3. How strong does a personal magnetic field need to be for effective protection?

The strength of a personal magnetic field needed for protection depends on the strength and type of space radiation being encountered. Generally, a stronger magnetic field will provide better protection, but it is important to consult with experts to determine the appropriate strength for a specific situation.

4. Can personal magnetic fields be used as a substitute for other protective measures against space radiation?

No, personal magnetic fields should be used as a supplement to other protective measures, such as shielding and proper astronaut training. They can help to reduce exposure, but should not be relied upon as the sole means of protection from space radiation.

5. Are there any potential risks or side effects associated with using personal magnetic fields for protection against space radiation?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that personal magnetic fields pose any risks or side effects. However, more research is needed to fully understand their effects on the human body and potential long-term implications.