Q19. What is the Stored Energy on a Capacitor Charged to 200 V?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Strawberry
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Capacitor Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 14K views
Strawberry
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Q18. A 20 F capacitor is charged to 200 V. Its stored energy is:
C. 0.4 J


Homework Equations


q = CV
u = .5CV^2


The Attempt at a Solution


I tried plugging in the numbers and got 1.6E6, which isn't even close to the answer. I really don't know where to go with this one. I even went and found an energy calculator online and it came up with the same answer I got. Is stored energy not the potential energy of the capacitor?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Strawberry,

Are you sure the capacitance wasn't [itex]20 \mbox{ }\mu F[/itex]? Most capacitors that I've dealt with in problems are in that range, and that would also give the answer you are given.
 
I guess the symbol just didn't show up in the .pdf. Thanks again alphysicist, you've cleared up a ton of things for me in the past few weeks.