QED Predictions of fine structure constant and g-factor

In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of QED, one of the most tested theories in science, and whether it disagrees with its predicted values. It is noted that QED is considered the "most accurate," but it is unclear if this means it is exactly accurate within experimental and predictive uncertainties. The conversation ends with the discovery that QED currently matches its predicted values exactly.
curtdbz
Hi, I know QED is one of the most tested theories in all of science (and one of the most accurate) but I wanted to know if it disagreed at ALL with its predicted values of both

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_structure_constant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-factor_(physics )

The thing I keep reading is that it is the "most accurate", but does that mean exactly accurate to within the uncertainties of the experiment (and uncertainties of prediction), or does it differ by a very tiny amount even given the uncertainties. That's it, thanks!

PS: I can only find what the current most accurate measurements are of those two constants, but not what our current theory of QED predicts them to be, else I'd just compare myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the fine structure constant in QED predictions?

The fine structure constant, also known as the Sommerfeld constant, is a dimensionless quantity that characterizes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles. In QED (Quantum Electrodynamics), it is a fundamental constant that appears in the equations describing the behavior of charged particles.

2. How does QED predict the fine structure constant?

QED predicts the value of the fine structure constant by calculating the probability of interactions between charged particles. This is done through a series of complex mathematical equations and calculations that take into account the properties of particles and their interactions with the electromagnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the fine structure constant in QED?

The fine structure constant is significant in QED because it is a fundamental constant that governs the strength of the electromagnetic force between charged particles. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level and has been experimentally verified to an extremely high degree of precision.

4. What is the g-factor in QED predictions?

The g-factor, also known as the Landé g-factor, is a dimensionless quantity that characterizes the magnetic moment of a particle. In QED, it is predicted to be slightly different from the classical value due to the effects of quantum mechanics.

5. How does QED predict the g-factor?

QED predicts the value of the g-factor by taking into account the spin and magnetic moment of a particle and its interactions with the electromagnetic field. This prediction has been experimentally verified to an extremely high degree of precision, providing strong evidence for the validity of QED as a theory of particle interactions.