Calculating the decay rate for h -> phi phi process

This can be done using the Feynman rules for scalar fields and the propagator mentioned above. The final result should be\begin{align*}\Gamma (h \to \phi^3 \phi^3) = \frac{1}{32\pi} \frac{\lambda^2 v^2}{m_h} \sqrt{1-\frac{4m_Z^2}{m_h^2}}.\end{align*}In summary, the problem involves calculating the width of a Higgs particle decaying to two longitudinal Z-bosons. The first order perturbative terms must be considered and the contraction of the derivatives in the interaction Hamiltonian should be done with the usual propagator for scalar fields.
Peeter

Homework Statement

Given a coupling [itex] h \; \partial_\mu \phi^a \partial^\mu \phi^a [/itex], meant to model the first order interaction of the Higgs field [itex] h [/itex] to boson fields [itex] \phi^a [/itex], compute the width [itex]\Gamma(h \rightarrow \phi^3 \phi^3)[/itex] of the Higgs particle to decay to two longitudinal (say) [itex]Z[/itex]-bosons (hence the index [itex]3[/itex]).

We've been told that we only need to consider first order perturbative terms.

Homework Equations

[tex]\begin{aligned}{\left\langle {\Omega} \right\rvert} T( h(x_1) \phi^3(x_2) \phi^3(x_3) e^{-i \int dt H_{\text{int}} }) {\left\lvert {\Omega} \right\rangle}&=\frac{{\left\langle {0} \right\rvert} T( h(x_1) \phi^3(x_2) \phi^3(x_3) e^{-i \int dt H_{\text{int}} }) {\left\lvert {0} \right\rangle}}{{\left\langle {0} \right\rvert} T( e^{-i \int dt H_{\text{int}} }) {\left\lvert {0} \right\rangle}} \\ &=\text{some of all connected amputated diagrams with three external points,}\end{aligned}[/tex]
where [itex] T [/itex] designates the time ordering operator.

The full Lagrangian (calculated in a previous problem set) was found to be:

[tex]\begin{align}\mathcal{L} =\frac{\left\lvert {m} \right\rvert^2}{2 \lambda} \partial_\mu h \partial^\mu h+\frac{\left\lvert {m} \right\rvert^2}{4 \lambda} ( 1 + h )^2 \text{Tr}{{\left( { \partial_\mu \Omega^\dagger \partial^\mu \Omega } \right)}}+ \left\lvert {m} \right\rvert^2\frac{\left\lvert {m} \right\rvert^2}{2 \lambda} \left( { 1 + h } \right)^2- \lambda\left( {\frac{\left\lvert {m} \right\rvert^2}{2 \lambda}} \right)^2\left( { 1 + h } \right)^4=\frac{\left\lvert {m} \right\rvert^2}{\lambda} \mathcal{L}',\end{align} [/tex]
where [itex] \mathcal{L}' [/itex] is the ``canonically normalized (I assumed that to mean that there's a one-half factor on the kinetic terms) Lagrangian
[tex]\begin{align}\mathcal{L}' = \frac{1}{{2}} \partial_\mu h \partial^\mu h+\frac{1}{{4}}( 1 + h )^2 \text{Tr}{{\left( { \partial_\mu \Omega^\dagger \partial^\mu \Omega } \right)}}+\frac{1}{{2}}\left\lvert {m} \right\rvert^2\left( { 1 + h } \right)^2-\frac{\left\lvert {m} \right\rvert^2}{4}\left( { 1 + h } \right)^4,\end{align} [/tex]
where
[tex]\begin{align}\Omega = e^{i \sigma^a \phi^a}.\end{align} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The conjugate momenta are
[tex]\begin{align}\pi^a = \frac{\partial {L_{\text{int}}}}{\partial {(\partial_0 \phi^a)}} = 2 h \partial_0 \phi^a,\end{align}[/tex]
so the interaction Hamiltonian is
[tex]\begin{aligned}H_{\text{int}} &= \int d^3 x\left( {\pi^a \partial_0 \phi^a - L_{\text{int}}} \right) \\ &=\int d^3 x \left( { 2 h (\partial_0 \phi^a)^2 - h (\partial_0 \phi^a)^2 + h (\partial_k \phi^a)^2} \right) \\ &=\int d^3 x h(x) \left( { (\partial_0 \phi^a)^2 + (\partial_k \phi^a)^2} \right),\end{aligned}[/tex]

This is a somewhat strange seeming Hamiltonian (to me, at least given my rudimentary knowledge), as the only interactions I've seen in class have involved powers of the fields, whereas this one has derivatives of those too.

Based on the scalar theory example [itex] \phi \phi \rightarrow \phi \phi [/itex] example we worked in class, I figured that I need to calculate the first order diagrams of
[tex]\begin{aligned}{\left\langle {0} \right\rvert} &T( h(x_1) \phi^3(x_2) \phi^3(x_3) e^{-i \int d^4 z H_{\text{int}}(z) }) {\left\lvert {0} \right\rangle} \\ &={\left\langle {0} \right\rvert} T( h(x) \phi^3(y) \phi^3(w) ( 1 - i \int d^4 z h(z) \left( { \partial_0 \phi^3(z) \partial_0 \phi^3 z + \partial_k \phi^3(z) \partial_k \phi^3(z) } \right) ){\left\lvert {0} \right\rangle},\end{aligned}[/tex]
Because [itex] h, \phi^a [/itex] commute, as well as any [itex] \phi^a, \phi^b, a \ne b [/itex], it seems to me that the contraction of [itex] h(x), h(z) [/itex] results in a Feynman propagator
[tex]\begin{align}D_F(x - z)={\left\langle {0} \right\rvert} T( h(x) h(z)) {\left\lvert {0} \right\rangle}.\end{align}[/tex]
We can also have contractions between [itex] \phi^3(y) \phi^3(w) [/itex] and the derivatives of the [itex] \phi(z) [/itex]'s in the interaction integral, or contractions between the [itex] \phi^3(y), \phi^3(w) [/itex]'s and the derivative terms, but all the [itex] h, \phi^a [/itex] contractions should be zero since those fields commute. I thought the interpretation of the contractions of the derivatives fields would be
[tex]\begin{aligned}{\left\langle {0} \right\rvert} T( \phi^3(x_i) \partial_\mu \phi^a(z)) {\left\lvert {0} \right\rangle}&={\left\langle {0} \right\rvert} T( \phi^3(x_i) \partial_\mu \phi^a(z)) {\left\lvert {0} \right\rangle} \\ &={\left\langle {0} \right\rvert} T( \phi^3(x_i) \partial_\mu \phi^3(z)) {\left\lvert {0} \right\rangle} \\ &=\partial_\mu^{(z)} D_F( x_i - z ),\end{aligned}[/tex]
the derivative of a Feynman propagator for [itex] \phi^3 [/itex] between the [itex] x_i [/itex] and [itex] z [/itex] vertices.

It seems to me that there's only two diagrams (sketch attached), but the derivatives in the interaction are still bothering me, and I suspect that I've messed up the starting point for this problem significantly.

Attachments

• IMG_20181203_134524382.jpg
    IMG_20181203_134524382.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any insight or guidance would be greatly appreciated.A:You are correct in your approach so far. The only thing to note is that the contraction of the derivatives in the interaction Hamiltonian should be done with the usual propagator for scalar fields, i.e.\begin{align*} \langle 0|T(\phi(x_1) \partial_\mu \phi(z))|0\rangle = \partial_\mu^z \Delta (x_1-z)\end{align*}where $\Delta (x_1-z)$ is the scalar propagator.The two diagrams you mention are the only ones that contribute at leading order. The only thing left to do is calculate their value and take the imaginary part.

1. What is the decay rate for the h -> phi phi process?

The decay rate for the h -> phi phi process is determined by the coupling strength between the Higgs boson (h) and the two phi particles, as well as the available phase space for the decay to occur. It is typically expressed in terms of the partial width, which is the decay rate divided by the total decay width of the Higgs boson.

2. How is the decay rate calculated for the h -> phi phi process?

The decay rate for the h -> phi phi process is calculated using the Feynman diagrams and the Feynman rules for calculating decay rates in quantum field theory. This involves considering all possible intermediate states and their contributions to the decay amplitude, which is then squared and integrated over the available phase space.

3. What factors affect the decay rate for the h -> phi phi process?

The decay rate for the h -> phi phi process is primarily affected by the mass of the Higgs boson and the coupling strength between the Higgs boson and the phi particles. Other factors that can influence the decay rate include the presence of other particles in the final state and the kinematics of the decay process.

4. What is the significance of calculating the decay rate for the h -> phi phi process?

Calculating the decay rate for the h -> phi phi process is important for understanding the properties of the Higgs boson and for verifying the predictions of the Standard Model of particle physics. It can also provide insights into potential new physics beyond the Standard Model.

5. What are the potential applications of knowing the decay rate for the h -> phi phi process?

Knowing the decay rate for the h -> phi phi process can have implications for future experimental searches for the Higgs boson and for studying its properties. It can also be used in theoretical calculations to make predictions for other related processes and to test the consistency of the Standard Model.