1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM Free Particle Approaching Infinite Barrier

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    Solved... i think. It's just Psi(x) = B sin kx

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a free particle psi(x) = A*e^(ikx) approaching an infinite barrier from the left:
    V = 0, x < 0 and V = oo, x >= 0. For this problem use only the time-independent
    Schrodinger Equation.
    a. Find the probability of being reflected from the barrier (recall that energy
    must be conserved).
    b. Find the total wavefunction Psi(x) for x < 0.

2. Relevant equations

Schroedinger's equation.

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, solving the wave equation gives the general solution

psi(x, 0) = A e^(ikx) + B e^(-ikx).

We know that Psi(x, 0) = 0 when x >= 0, since E < V = oo for all values of E. Part a asks to find the reflection coefficient using conservation of energy, but I did it this way:

Psi must be continuous at x = 0. Thus A + B = 0, implying that A = -B. Thus the reflection coefficient is 1. This also reduces psi(x, 0) = A sin kx.

However, I'm a little confused as to how to find Psi(x). My original work was that Psi(x) = integral(-oo to oo) phi(k) A sin kx dk

but my professor said that due to the conservation of energy, there are only so many allowed energy states. I'm a little confused about this. Is Psi(x, 0) = A e^(ikx) - A e^(-ikx)?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Yep, that's it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?