1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM I - Decomposition of countable basic states into coherent states

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a quantum system with a countable number of basic states [itex]\left|n\right\rangle[/itex].
    Calculate the decomposition into a basis of coherent states [itex]\left|λ \right\rangle[/itex] all obeying [itex]\hat{a}[/itex] [itex]\left|λ \right\rangle[/itex] = λ [itex]\left|λ \right\rangle[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\hat{a}[/itex] is the lowering operator:
    [itex]\hat{a} \left|n\right\rangle[/itex] = √n [itex]\left|n-1\right\rangle[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Because [itex]\left|λ\right\rangle[/itex] form a basis, i can equate [itex]\left|n\right\rangle[/itex] = Ʃλ[itex]_{n}\left|λ\right\rangle[/itex].
    Applying the lowering operator n-times to both sides of the equation, i get: √n! [itex]\left|0\right\rangle[/itex] = λ[itex]^{n}[/itex] Ʃλ[itex]_{n}[/itex] [itex]\left|λ\right\rangle[/itex]
    By equality of two vectors i can say that √n! = λ[itex]^{n}[/itex] and that [itex]\left|0\right\rangle[/itex] = Ʃλ[itex]_{n}[/itex] [itex]\left|λ\right\rangle[/itex].

Now i got kinda stuck. I thought if i get to the [itex]\left|0\right\rangle[/itex] vector, i can just keep applying the raising operator to get any state [itex]\left|n\right\rangle[/itex] written in my new vectors [itex]\left|λ\right\rangle[/itex]. But i realized i do not know how the raising operator acts on them. Neither do i know if i chose the right approach, but it feels like the only thing i could have done, considering the information given.

I would really appreciate some help.
    Thanks a lot in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2
    Re: QM I - Decomposition of countable basic states into coherent state

I'm a little confused here as to whether you're trying to express a coherent state as a sum of the |n>'s, or one of the |n>'s as a sum of coherent states :confused:

The former is easy enough, but the latter is trickier - the answer won't be unique, because the coherent state basis is an overcomplete basis. Probably you'll have to use a coherent state resolution of unity, which involves integrating over the complex λ plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook