QM - Position/Momentum representation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time independent Schrodinger equation in the momentum representation for a particle with mass m and a given potential. The solution is given in terms of a trial solution and the next step is to determine the corresponding energy eigenvalue. By setting the dependence of energy on momentum to zero and choosing a value for B, the energy eigenvalue is found to be \frac{\hbar}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\gamma}{m}}.
knowlewj01

Homework Statement

Write down the time independant Schrodinger eqn in the momentum representation for a particle with mass m when the potential is given by [itex]V(x) = \frac{1}{2} \gamma x^2[/itex]
Given that a possible solution is given by [itex]\Phi(p) = e^{\frac{-Bp^2}{2}}[/itex]

determine B and the corresponding energy eigenvalue.

Homework Equations

position / momentum

[itex]x \rightarrow i\hbar \frac{d}{dp}[/itex]
[itex]-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx} \rightarrow p[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

in position representation the full time independant schrodinger eqn is:

[itex]- \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2} \Psi(x) + \frac{1}{2}\gamma x^2 \Psi(x) = E\Psi(x)[/itex]

becomes

[itex]\frac{p^2}{2m}\Phi(p) - \frac{\hbar^2 \gamma}{2}\frac{d^2}{dp^2}\Phi(p) = E\Phi(p)[/itex]
in the momentum representation, where Phi is the FT of Psi.

After plugging in the Trial Solution I get:

[itex]E = \frac{p^2}{2m} - \frac{\hbar^2 \gamma}{2}\left( B^2 p^2 - B\right)[/itex]

Not sure what to do after this bit, I tried to normalise the wavefunction [itex]A = \left(\frac{B}{\pi}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}}[/itex]

But I don't think that helps.

Any ideas on where i could get a second equation to find B and E?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy E needs to be a constant, so it can't depend on p. For what value of B will the dependence of E on p vanish?

ok, the only way i can see of doing this is, first rearrange to get:

[itex]p^2 \left(\frac{1}{2m} - \frac{B^2 \hbar^2 \gamma}{2}\right) + \frac{B\hbar^2 \gamma}{2} = E[/itex]

choose B such that:

[itex]B^2 \frac{\hbar^2 \gamma}{2} = \frac{1}{2m}[/itex]

which gives:

[itex]B = \frac{1}{\hbar}\sqrt{\frac{1}{\gamma m}}[/itex]

So the energy eigenvalue would be:

[itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\gamma}{m}}[/itex]

Looks good.

thanks very much

What is the position/momentum representation problem in quantum mechanics?

The position/momentum representation problem is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that arises from the wave-particle duality of matter. It refers to the difficulty of simultaneously determining the position and momentum of a subatomic particle with high accuracy. This is due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle which states that the more precisely one property of a particle is known, the less precisely the other property can be known.

How does the uncertainty principle impact the position/momentum representation problem?

The uncertainty principle states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with arbitrary precision. This means that there will always be a trade-off between the accuracy of measurements of position and momentum. The more precisely one property is known, the less precisely the other property can be known. This poses a challenge for scientists trying to accurately determine the position and momentum of a particle in quantum mechanics.

What are the mathematical equations used to represent position and momentum in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, position is represented by the position operator, denoted as x, while momentum is represented by the momentum operator, denoted as p. The position operator is defined as x = iħ (∂/∂p), while the momentum operator is defined as p = -iħ (∂/∂x), where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant and i is the imaginary unit. These operators are used to describe the position and momentum of a particle in terms of wave functions in the position/momentum representation.

What is the relationship between position and momentum in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, position and momentum are complementary properties of a particle. This means that they are related to each other, but cannot be known simultaneously with arbitrary precision due to the uncertainty principle. The relationship between position and momentum is described by the Fourier transform, which allows one to switch between the position and momentum representations of a wave function.

How does the position/momentum representation problem impact our understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles?

The position/momentum representation problem is a fundamental challenge in quantum mechanics that highlights the limitations of our understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles. It shows that there are inherent uncertainties in the properties of particles which cannot be overcome, and that our understanding of their behavior is limited by the tools and methods available to us. This has led to ongoing research and development in quantum mechanics to better understand and overcome these challenges.