QM- Stefan's constant vs radiation constant

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Planck's formula for energy density and the total energy density, which can be expressed as aT4. The question in part (b) asks if this agrees with the Stefan-Boltzmann law for total emissive power. While the two equations are related, there are also some differences in their derivations and utilities. The radiation constant, a, is equal to 4σ/c and can be derived from Planck's formula. However, there may be other factors at play in determining the total emissive power, so the two equations may not be exactly equivalent.
cep
QM-- Stefan's constant vs radiation constant

Homework Statement

(a) Using Planck's formula for the energy density ρ(λ,T), prove that the total energy density is given by ρ(T)=aT4 where a = 8π5k4/(15h3c3). (b) Does this agree with the Stefan-Boltzmann law for the total emissive power?

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no problem with the proof in part (a), starting with the equation
ρ(T)dλ = 8πhc/λ5 * dλ/(ehc/λkT-1) and integrating over λ 0→∞.

However, I am confused by the question in part (b). The answers are obviously related. I know that a, the radiation constant, is equal to 4σ/c, and I know you can derive the precise Stefan-Boltzmann equation from Planck's formula. I also suspect the professor is looking for an answer other than "no" or "sort-of." Does anyone know where the difference between that derivation and the one I completed and the one that yields P = σT4 is? What is the utility difference between the radiation constant and Stefan's constant?

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hmm... have a look at the Wikipedia article on Planck's law and see if it suggests anything :wink:

1. What is QM-Stefan's constant vs radiation constant?

QM-Stefan's constant and radiation constant are both physical constants used in quantum mechanics and thermodynamics, respectively. QM-Stefan's constant, denoted as σ, is used in the Stefan-Boltzmann law to calculate the total radiation emitted by a black body. Radiation constant, denoted as R, is used in the Planck radiation law to calculate the spectral radiance of a black body at a given wavelength.

2. What are the values of QM-Stefan's constant and radiation constant?

The value of QM-Stefan's constant is approximately 5.670373 x 10^-8 W/m^2K^4, and the value of radiation constant is approximately 1.380649 x 10^-23 J/K. These values are derived from experimental measurements and have been accepted as standard values in physics.

3. How are QM-Stefan's constant and radiation constant related?

QM-Stefan's constant and radiation constant are related through the Stefan-Boltzmann and Planck radiation laws. QM-Stefan's constant is used in the Stefan-Boltzmann law to calculate the total radiation emitted by a black body, while radiation constant is used in the Planck radiation law to calculate the spectral radiance of a black body at a given wavelength.

4. Can QM-Stefan's constant and radiation constant be used interchangeably?

No, QM-Stefan's constant and radiation constant are not interchangeable as they are used in different laws and have different units. QM-Stefan's constant is measured in units of W/m^2K^4, while radiation constant is measured in units of J/K.

5. How are QM-Stefan's constant and radiation constant calculated?

QM-Stefan's constant and radiation constant are both calculated through experimental measurements. QM-Stefan's constant can be calculated by measuring the total radiation emitted by a black body at different temperatures and using the Stefan-Boltzmann law to find the constant. Radiation constant can be calculated by measuring the spectral radiance of a black body at a given wavelength and using the Planck radiation law to find the constant.