The significance of each term in Planck's Radiation Formula

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
kmiller3401
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I(λ, T) is 4 pieces multiplied: (8π/λ4) (hc/λ) (1/(ehc/λkT-1) (c/4).

1. Identify the meaning of each term.
2. Which term(s) fix the ultraviolet catastrophe?

The Attempt at a Solution



Well I know that the energy of a photon is given by (hc/λ), and I'm fairly certain it was Planck who introduced the ehc/λkT-1 term to reconcile the ultraviolet catastrophe, but that's about it. I've been looking through Planck's derivation and I am quite overwhelmed by the statistical analysis required.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you identified two out of four terms. One is just a constant.
You have the probability that state is occupied and you have the energy of a photon in this state, but what about the "number" of states?