QM: Sum of projection operators = identity operator?

In summary, the observable K has eigenvectors v1 = (-i, 1)T and v2 = (i, 1)T corresponding to eigenvalues 1 and -1, respectively. Taking the outer products of these eigenvectors results in matrices |1><1| and |-1><-1|, which when added together form 2 times the identity operator. However, it is necessary to normalize the eigenvectors by multiplying them by 1/√2 for the sum to equal the identity operator.
Simfish
Gold Member

Homework Statement

So we have an observable K = [tex] \begin{bmatrix} 0 & -i \\ -i & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and its eigenvectors are v1 = (-i, 1)T and v2 = (i, 1)T corresponding to eigenvalues 1 and -1, respectively.

Now if we take the outer products, we get these...

|1><1| = (-i, 1)T*(i, 1) = [tex] \begin{bmatrix} 1 & -i \\ i & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

|-1><-1| = (i, 1)T*(-i, 1) = [tex] \begin{bmatrix} 1 & i \\ -i & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Then we add them and they sum up to form 2*(identity operator).

But isn't it supposed to sum up to the identity operator? What's wrong, or what happened?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Simfish! :wink:
Simfish said:
… and its eigenvectors are v1 = (-i, 1)T and v2 = (i, 1)T

Don't you need to normalise them (to unit vectors), by multiplying by 1/√2 ? :smile:

Hi. :) Okay, good idea. Thanks!

1. What is the meaning of "QM: Sum of projection operators = identity operator"?

This statement refers to a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics known as the completeness property. It states that the sum of all projection operators, which represent the possible outcomes of a measurement, will always equal the identity operator, which represents the entire state space of a system.

2. Why is the sum of projection operators equal to the identity operator in quantum mechanics?

This is a mathematical consequence of the completeness property in quantum mechanics. It ensures that all possible outcomes of a measurement are accounted for and that the total probability of measuring any outcome is equal to 1.

3. How does the completeness property relate to the uncertainty principle?

The completeness property is a key principle in quantum mechanics that helps to explain the uncertainty principle. It states that the more accurately we know the value of one observable, the less accurately we can know the value of another observable. This is because the sum of all projection operators must equal the identity operator, limiting the precision of measurements.

4. Can the completeness property be violated in quantum mechanics?

No, the completeness property is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified many times. It is a cornerstone of the mathematical framework that describes the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. How does the completeness property impact the measurement process in quantum mechanics?

The completeness property plays a crucial role in the measurement process in quantum mechanics. It ensures that all possible outcomes of a measurement are accounted for, and the probabilities of obtaining each outcome can be accurately calculated. It also helps to explain the probabilistic nature of measurements at the quantum level.