Proving a Property of Quadratic Nonresidues in Prime Numbers

• Thread starter RichardCypher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary: I did try to do it, of course, I got \frac{r^4(r^{2(p-1)}-1)}{r^4-1} and couldn't get rid of the fraction...It seems clear to me that p divides the sum of the squares of the quadratic residues if and only if p|r^2+r^6+r^{10}+\dots+r^{2p}.
RichardCypher
Morning everybody!:smile:

I'm trying to prove a curious little property of quadratic nonresidues:
Let p>5 be a prime number. p|S where S is the sum of the squares of its [p's, that is] quadratic nonresidues.

However, I didn't make any headway with this problem. I will very much appreciate your help.

Have a nice weekend!
R.C.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

(1) I wonder if it is right to say that, for a prime p > 5 (actually, p >=5), p divides the sum of the quadratic residues of p (if right, it should not be difficult to prove but I haven't done it).

Further, a^2 = (p-a)^2 mod p, if 1 <= a <= (p-1)/2, and so the first (p-1)/2 integers, as well as the integers from (p-1)/2 +1 to p-1 "generate" all the quadratic residues of p, as they provide all the solutions of x^2 = q mod p (as there are (p-1)/2 quadratic residues of prime p). For instance, for p=7, 1^2 = 1 mod 7, 2^2 = 4 mod 7, 3^2 = 2 mod 7, and the quadratic residues of 7 are 1,2, and 4.

Therefore, if (1) is right, p divides the sum of the squares of the first (p-1)/2 integers as well as the sum of the squares of the "second" (p-1)/2 integers, and so p actually divides the sum of the squares of all integers 1, 2, ..., p-1. Therefore if p divides the sum of the squares of the quadratic nonresidues of p, then p also divides the sum of the squares of the quadratic residues.

I know this hasn't answered your problem, but I hope it helps. And I hope that it makes mathematical sense - math is a sort of "recreational activity" for me.

Last edited:
Morning huba :smile:

Thanks for your reply. Hmmpf, I think it can be shown that for any prime, p>3, p divides the sum of its quadratic residues.

For example, it's a well-known fact that the quadratic residues of p equals to [tex]1^2, 2^2, \dots, \left(\frac{p-1}{2}\right)^2 \mbox{ (mod } p)[/tex], and so the sum is p(p-1)(p+1)/24. Because p>3 is a prime it's quite clear that [tex]24|p^2-1[/tex] and therefore p divides the appropriate sum.

However, I do not see how it can help. It may be that I don't quite understand your message. If it is so, I'm sorry; would you please be so kind as to explain it to me again?

Many thanks for your time,
R.C.

Is it possible to show that if p divides the sum of the quadratic residues of p then p also divides the sum of the squares of the quadratic residues of p?
Then it would follow that, as p divides the sum of the squares of integers 1 to p-1, p also divides the sum of the squares of the quadratic nonresidues of p?

huba said:
Is it possible to show that if p divides the sum of the quadratic residues of p then p also divides the sum of the squares of the quadratic residues of p?
Then it would follow that, as p divides the sum of the squares of integers 1 to p-1, p also divides the sum of the squares of the quadratic nonresidues of p?

You are correct, it would follow. However, I am not sure how to prove such a thing. It is easy enough to show that in order to get to the formula of the sum of the squares from the formula of the "regular" sum, one needs only to multiply by a factor of (2n+1)/3, or p/3, in our case. Meaning that if one can show that [tex]{2^3\cdot3^2}|{p(p-1)(p+1)}[/tex], where p>5 is a prime, the rest would follow. However, I didn't succeed proving it :frown:

Thanks again for your time,
R.C.

Not so. I was wrong. We can multiply the formula by (2n+1)/3 provided that it's an arithmetic progression. So it won't necessarily work in our case. Hmmpf, I don't have any idea how to prove that p divides the sum of squares of its quadratic residues, given that it divides the sum of its quadratic residues.

I remembered a thing that may help:
If r is a primitive root of p, then the quadratic residues of p are equivalent to the even powers of r (that is [tex]r^2, r^4, \dots, r^{p-1}[/tex]) and the quadratic nonresidues to the odd powers of r.

So, basically, we want to prove that [tex]p|r^2 + r^6 + r^{10} + \dots + r^{2p}[/tex] where p>5 is a prime and r is one of p's primitive roots.

However, I didn't get anywhere going down this path...

RichardCypher said:
However, I didn't get anywhere going down this path...
It seems clear to me; just sum the series and simplify modulo p.

Hurkyl said:
It seems clear to me; just sum the series and simplify mod p.

Thank-you Hurkyl, for your time :smile:
I did try to do it, of course, I got [tex]\frac{r^4(r^{2(p-1)}-1)}{r^4-1}[/tex] and couldn't get rid of the fraction :frown:

RichardCypher said:
Thank-you Hurkyl, for your time :smile:
I did try to do it, of course, I got [tex]\frac{r^4(r^{2(p-1)}-1)}{r^4-1}[/tex] and couldn't get rid of the fraction :frown:
Your numerator's wrong. But the main thing is that you can still simplify; you know things about things to the power of p, don't you?

Hurkyl said:
It seems clear to me; just sum the series and simplify modulo p.

r is a primitive root of p and therefore r^(p-1)=1(modp) so the numerator is 0 and the whole thing is 0 mod p, meaning p|S. Is that right? Is that it?:biggrin:

[you're right, of course, it should be r^2 in the numerator]

That sounds plausible. :)

Hurkyl said:
That sounds plausible. :)

Dear Hurkyl, thank you very much for all your help :biggrin:. There is just a tiny detail I don't quite get. Why wouldn't the exact same proof work for p=5?

Thanks again!
R.C.

RichardCypher said:
There is just a tiny detail I don't quite get. Why wouldn't the exact same proof work for p=5?
The most algorithmic to see it for yourself is to actually choose an appropraite r, and plug it into the argument to see what happens. You'd also catch it if you were paying attention to the little details.

Hurkyl said:
The most algorithmic to see it for yourself is to actually choose an appropraite r, and plug it into the argument to see what happens. You'd also catch it if you were paying attention to the little details.

I get it! Is it because [tex]\phi(5) = 4[/tex] and therefore the denominator is equivalent to 0 (mod 5) ? It's only so with p=5!:biggrin:

Hurkyl, thank you so much! Your hints are perfect, exactly in the suitable level. They helped me get to it "by myself" but weren't so easy as to not make me think at all :smile:
R.C.

Is it possible to extend this theorem by saying that
n divides the sum of the squares of the quadratic residues of n if and only if n can be written as p^m where p is a prime > 5 and m is any natural number?

What is a quadratic nonresidue?

A quadratic nonresidue is an integer that does not have a square root modulo a given positive integer. In other words, it is a number that cannot be solved for in the equation x^2 ≡ n mod m, where n is the quadratic nonresidue and m is the given positive integer.

How do you determine if a number is a quadratic nonresidue?

There is no general formula for determining if a number is a quadratic nonresidue. However, there are several methods and algorithms, such as the Legendre symbol and the Jacobi symbol, that can be used to determine if a number is a quadratic nonresidue modulo a given integer.

What is the importance of quadratic nonresidues in number theory?

Quadratic nonresidues play a crucial role in many areas of number theory, including cryptography, coding theory, and elliptic curve theory. They are also important in understanding the distribution and properties of prime numbers.

Can a number be both a quadratic residue and a quadratic nonresidue?

No, a number cannot be both a quadratic residue and a quadratic nonresidue modulo a given integer. This is because the definition of a quadratic nonresidue is an integer that does not have a square root modulo a given integer, while a quadratic residue is an integer that does have a square root modulo a given integer.

How are quadratic nonresidues used in cryptography?

Quadratic nonresidues are used in several cryptographic systems, such as the Diffie-Hellman key exchange and the RSA algorithm. They provide a way to generate large, random numbers that are difficult to factor, making them useful in creating secure encryption keys.