Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantity of Vertices, Edges, Etc In Higher Dimensional Cubes

Tags:
  1. Oct 6, 2015 #1
    Has anyone came up with a way to find the number vertices, lines or face in different dimensional cubes? I'm would most interested in a non-recursive equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The vertices are easiest. The vertices of the n-dimensional cube ##\{\mathbf{x}\in\mathbb{R}^n\ |\ \forall i: x_i\in[0,1]\}## are the n-tuples ##(x_1,x_2,....,x_n)## in which every element is 0 or a 1. How many such n-tuples are there?

4. Oct 9, 2015 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the easiest way to see it seems recursive, but you might be able to write a non recursive formula. I.e. just cross an n cube with an interval to get an n+1 cube and look at what happens to the various simplexes. e.g. you double the number of vertices, but in addition to doubling the number of edges you also transfiorm each vertex into a new edge,.... so a 3 cube has twice as many vertices as a square, and 3 times as many edges,... But maybe you already see this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook