Quantizating a symmetric Dirac Lagrangian

In summary, you forgot to include an additional minus sign when passing \frac{\partial}{\partial\dot\psi} through \bar\psi when defining your canonical momentum p.
Rocky Raccoon
As is well known, a Dirac Lagrangian can be written in a symmetric form:

L = i/2 (\bar\psi \gamma \partial (\psi) - \partial (\bar\psi) \gamma \psi ) - m \bar\psi \psi

Let \psi and \psi^\dagger be independent fields. The corresponding canonical momenta are

p = i/2 \psi^\dagger;

p^\dagger = - i/2 \psi.

The anticommutation relations would be

{(\psi)_k, i/2 (\psi^dagger)_m}= i delta_km,

{(\psi^\dagger)_k, - i/2 (\psi)_m}= i delta_km,

which are in contradiction with one another. How can this happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually the quantization procedure forces you to use only one type of fields, either the coordinate fields, or their momenta. So one has only one set of anticommutation relations between the fields (operator-valued distributions).

No contradiction.

OK, I thought so. But, with this Lagrangian, I get an extra factor 2 in my anticommutation relations compared to the standard anticomm. relations.

Then you must have made an error somewhere. The fundamental Dirac parentheses are

[tex] \left[\Psi^{a}(x),\bar{\Psi}_b (y)\right]_{+, x^0 = y^0} ^{*} = - \delta^{a}_{b} \delta \left(\vec{x}-\vec{y}\right) [/tex]

and using the canonical anticommutation rule, one finds the needed anticommutation relations, no other numerical factor needed.

The mistake is quite subtle. You forgot to pick up an additional minus sign from passing [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial\dot\psi}[/itex] through [itex]\bar\psi[/itex] when defining your canonical momentum [itex]p[/itex].

You should have gotten
[tex]p = -\frac{i}{2} \psi^\dagger.[/tex]

How can I have anticommuting variables before I define my canonical momentum which defines canonical commutation relations?

It turns out [itex]\psi[/itex] is a Grassman-valued function of spacetime -- even at the classical level. When you move to quantum mechanics, all this means is that its matrix elements will be Grassman-valued too.

This was never taught at my relativistic quantum mechanics class :( Even Greiner (a classic textbook) doesn't mention it. So, what is the basis for such an assumption?

Well, the so-called <classical level> of spinors or spinor fields doesn't exist. The Dirac field is already a quantum field. So it must obey the spin-statistics theorem, therefore it describes fermions. Quantizing a fermion field through commuting field operators doesn't produce a Hamiltonian bounded from below. This is the original argument of 1940(Wolfgang Pauli in the Physical Review).

Is there a classical analogy of Poisson brackets which anticommute?

Poisson brackets are part of the classical mechanics. Classical mechanics doesn't use anticommuting momenta and coordinates.

Rocky Raccoon said:
This was never taught at my relativistic quantum mechanics class :( Even Greiner (a classic textbook) doesn't mention it. So, what is the basis for such an assumption?
The assumption comes from quantum mechanics (yes, I know it's backwards, but that's the way it goes). You don't get a local quantum field theory with commuting spinors; you get it by using anticommuting spinors.

dextercioby said:
Well, the so-called <classical level> of spinors or spinor fields doesn't exist. The Dirac field is already a quantum field. So it must obey the spin-statistics theorem, therefore it describes fermions. Quantizing a fermion field through commuting field operators doesn't produce a Hamiltonian bounded from below. This is the original argument of 1940(Wolfgang Pauli in the Physical Review).
Classical level of spinors do exist. They are just Grassman-valued, which makes it pretty hard to observe.

Rocky Raccoon said:
Is there a classical analogy of Poisson brackets which anticommute?
Yes, there is; see below.

dextercioby said:
Poisson brackets are part of the classical mechanics. Classical mechanics doesn't use anticommuting momenta and coordinates.
Not true. If [itex]\theta[/itex] is a Grassman coordinate and [itex]\pi[/itex] is its conjugate momentum. Then the Poisson bracket between two Grassman-valued dynamical quantities, [itex]A(\theta,\pi)[/itex] and [itex]B(\theta,\pi)[/itex] is defined to be
[tex]
\{A,B\}=-\left(\frac{\partial A}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial B}{\partial \pi}+\frac{\partial A}{\partial \pi}\frac{\partial B}{\partial \theta}\right),
[/tex]
for the convention of left derivatives.

There's no such thing of classical spinors, they come from purely quantum theories via symmetry group representations as is the case for Weyl & Dirac spinors.

1. What is a symmetric Dirac Lagrangian?

A symmetric Dirac Lagrangian is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin, in a symmetric way. It is based on the Dirac equation, which was developed by physicist Paul Dirac to describe the behavior of relativistic particles.

2. Why is it important to quantize a symmetric Dirac Lagrangian?

Quantization is the process of converting a classical theory into a quantum theory, which is necessary to accurately describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. By quantizing a symmetric Dirac Lagrangian, we can better understand the behavior of fermions and their interactions with other particles.

3. What is the role of symmetry in quantizing a symmetric Dirac Lagrangian?

Symmetry plays a critical role in the quantization of a symmetric Dirac Lagrangian. This is because the Lagrangian itself is symmetric, meaning it remains unchanged when certain transformations are applied to it. This symmetry leads to the conservation of certain quantities, such as energy and momentum, which are important in quantum mechanics.

4. What challenges are involved in quantizing a symmetric Dirac Lagrangian?

One of the main challenges in quantizing a symmetric Dirac Lagrangian is dealing with infinities that arise in the calculations. These infinities can be removed through a process called renormalization, but it requires complex mathematical techniques and can sometimes lead to non-intuitive results.

5. How does the quantization of a symmetric Dirac Lagrangian relate to other theories in physics?

The quantization of a symmetric Dirac Lagrangian is related to many other theories in physics, including quantum field theory, electrodynamics, and the standard model of particle physics. It provides a fundamental framework for understanding the behavior of fermions and their interactions with other particles, which is crucial for our understanding of the universe at the smallest scales.