1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum and Commutation - Help me start

1. Apr 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://www.bravus.com/question.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

See below

3. The attempt at a solution

Below are my scribbles toward a solution. The point is that the two expressions are different *unless* either the operators A and B or the operators B and C commute.

Not really looking for someone to solve it completely, but this is one of those questions I'm just looking at blankly to figure out how to start... yeah, I suspect I'm not smart... ;-)

http://www.bravus.com/scribbles.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2012 #2
    Hi! In my opinion it is easier to proceed in the following way: consider the case in which A and B commute (the other case is analogous); in this case there exists a common set of eigenstates; this induce in the formula you want to prove a lot fo deltas (eigenstates corresponding to different eigenvalues are orthogonal); this equation can now be easily verified.
    Best,
    Francesco

4. Apr 28, 2012 #3
    Thanks, Francesco. That kinda makes sense to me. But I'm a little unclear.

The fact that A and B commute means there *exist* simultaneous eigenkets, |ab> of both A and B.

I don't think that means, though, that |a> and |b> are *necessarily* all simultaneous eigenkets.

And they would need to be, for the solution you propose to work, yes?

5. Apr 28, 2012 #4
    You are welcome; in any case, the correct statement is: let A and B be commuting operators with nondegenerate eigenvalues; then, if [itex]|a\rangle[/itex] is an eigenstate of A, [itex]|a\rangle[/itex] is also an eigenstate of B; moreover, if [itex]|a\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|a'\rangle[/itex] are two eigenstates of A corresponding to different eigenvalues, then they are eigenstates of B corresponding to different eigenvalues.
    I hope I have been clear.
    Francesco

6. Apr 28, 2012 #5
    Thanks, yes, excellent!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook