1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strings - Visaro operators - basically commutator algebra

1. May 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question:

(With the following definitions here: definitions.png )

- Consider ##L_0|x>=0## to show that ##m^2=\frac{1}{\alpha'}##
    - Consider ##L_1|x>=0 ## to conclude that ## 1+A-2B=0##
    - Consider ##L_2|x>=0 ## to conclude that ##d-4A-2B=0##

- where ##d## is the dimension of the space ##d=\eta^{uv}\eta_{uv}##

For the L1 operator I am able to get the correct expression of ##1+A-2B=0##
    I am struggling with L0 and L2

Any help much appreciated.

2. Relevant equations

##\alpha^u_0={p^u}\sqrt{2 \alpha'}##

##\alpha_{n>0}## annihilate

##\alpha_{n<0}## create

## [\alpha_n^u, \alpha_m^v]=n\delta_{n+m}\eta^{uv}## (*)

where ##\eta^{uv}## is the Minkowski metric

##p^u|k>=k^u|k>##

3. The attempt at a solution

My working for L1 is here:

Operating on the three terms in turn:

where ##L_1 = \frac{1}{2}(\sum\limits^n_{n=-\infty} \alpha^u_{1-n} \alpha^v_{n} \eta_{uv})## and so using (*) the only alpha operators that do not commute are the negatives of each other,

so from ##L_1## for the first term we need to look at ##\alpha_0\alpha_1=\alpha_1\alpha_0##

for the second term we look at ##\alpha_{-1}\alpha_2## etc and where ##\alpha_0## commutes with all.

##L_1 \alpha^u_{-1} \alpha^v_{-1} \eta_{uv} |k>=2\alpha^u_0 \alpha^v_{-1}\eta_{uv} |k> ## [1]

where this has came from considering the four product of alpha operators that we need to look at : ##\alpha_0 \alpha_1 \alpha_{-1} \alpha_{-1} ## applying the commutator relation (*) twice to move ##\alpha_1## to the right which annihilates.

In a similar way I get:
    ##L_1 \alpha^u_{0} \alpha^v_{-2} \eta_{uv} |k>=2\alpha^u_0 \alpha^v_{-1}\eta_{uv} |k> ## [2]
    ##L_1 \alpha^u_{0} \alpha^v_{0} \alpha^a_{-1} \alpha^b_{-1} \eta_{ab} |k>=2\alpha_0.\alpha_0 \alpha_0^u\alpha^v_{-1}\eta_{uv} |k> ## [3]

So putting [1] , [2] and [3] together:

##L_1|x>=(2\alpha_0 + 2A\alpha_0 + 2B\alpha_0(\alpha_0.\alpha_0))\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##

##(2+2A+2B\alpha_0.\alpha_0)\alpha_0\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##

##\sqrt{2\alpha'}(2)(1+A+\alpha_0.\alpha_0 B)p^u\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##

##(1+A+B\alpha_0.\alpha_0)k^u|k'>=0##

where I have defined ##|k'>=\alpha_{-1}|k>## .I'm not sure I completely understand the ##\alpha_{-1}|k>## here, I think this works because the whole expression vanishes for eigenstate ##\alpha_{-1}|k>## and since ##\alpha_0## commutes with all we can move this all the way to right , can someone correct me if this is wrong please?

##p^2 = -m^2## and (from using the mass result deduced from ##L_0## which I am stuck on, see below ) ##m^2=\frac{1}{\alpha'}##
    so ##\alpha_0.\alpha_0=p^22 \alpha'=-m^2 2 \alpha'##
    ##m^2=1/\alpha' \implies \alpha_0.\alpha_0=-2##

Therefore we have:

## \implies (1+A-2B)k^u|k>=0##
    ##\implies (1+A-2B)=0##

I expected something similar is needed for L0 and L2 .

Here is my L0 attempt- Consider ##L_0 |x>=0## to show that ##m^{2}=1/\alpha'##

##L_0=(\alpha_0^2+2\sum\limits_{n=1}\alpha_{-n}\alpha_{n}-1)##

So first of all looking at the first term of ##|x>## I need to consider:

##L_0 \alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+2\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}-1)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}##

Considering the four product operator and using the commutators in the same way as done for ##L_1## I get from this:

##L_0\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+4-1)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>## (**)

Here's how I got it:(dropped indices in places, but just to give idea, ##\eta^{uv}## the minkowksi metric)
    ##2\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1} |k>
    = 2(\alpha_{-1}(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_1+\eta)\alpha_{-1})|k>
    = 2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}\alpha_1\alpha_{-1}+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1})|k>
    = 2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}+\eta)+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1})|k>
    =2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}(0+\eta|k>)+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>)
    = 2(2\alpha_{-1}.\alpha_{-1})##

so from (**) I have:

##L_0\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+3)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##
    ##=(2\alpha'p^2+3)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##
    ##\implies 2\alpha'p^2+3=0##
    ## \implies 2(-m^2)\alpha'=-3##

So I get ## m^{2}=3/\alpha'## and not ##1/\alpha'## :(

Any help much appreciated ( I see the mass is independent of ##A## and ##B## so I thought I'd deal with the first term before confusing my self to see why these terms vanish)

Here are my ideas for L2:

The relevant four products to consider are:

##\alpha_1\alpha_1\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}## , ##\alpha_0\alpha_0\alpha_2\alpha_{-2}##, ##\alpha_0\alpha_0\alpha_1\alpha_1\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}##

from the first, second and third term of ##|x>## respectively.

I am confused how this is going to work out, similar to the logic used for L1 I use (*) to move annihilaters to the right, however my end result is going to be something of the form:

## p^u \alpha_{-1}+Ap^u\alpha_{-2}+Bp^u\alpha_{-1}|k>## i.e. there is no common eigenstate so how can any conclusions be made? unlike L1 where we had ##\alpha_{-1} |k>## common,

or is it the case that

##\alpha_{-2} |k>= \alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>##?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2017 #2
    bump. many thanks in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted