1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum angular momentum proportionality constant

1. Oct 7, 2015 #1
    Hi, not a homework problem as such, but I am studying introductory quantum physics and having some trouble understanding how applying the rising or lowering operator for angular momentum implies:

L+/-|l,m> ∝ |l, m+/-1>
    Basically, my question is the same as the first part (Q1) as described in the following link.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2552515

Regarding the answer to that post, I can get to the two expressions quite easily by using the commutation relations, but even after reading it multiple times, I dont understand how the proportionality is implied. I know this is probably trivial and I'm probably just missing some obvious fact due to the time being 1.30am. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because the state ##L_{+/-} |l,m\rangle## is not necessarily normalized, while all ##|l,m\rangle## must be normalized.

4. Oct 7, 2015 #3
    blue_leaf77, thanks. It was one of those lack of sleep things. I just woke up and realised this. Also, mathematically speaking, there is an infinite amount of choices for our eigenvector based on a given eigenstate and scale factor. We must obviously use the one that fits our operator, ie it must be normalised.

5. Oct 7, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The vectors (including eigenvectors of an operator) in QM are agreed to be normalized because of the probabilistic interpretation assigned to the inner product between any two vectors. The probability of finding a given state to be in that same state must be equal to the maximum allowed value for a probability, which is unity.

6. Oct 7, 2015 #5
    okay thanks I understand my mistake and (hopefully) will not make it again :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted