What Classes Should I Take for Quantum Computing at UIC?

In summary: Unless you're a PhD in electrical engineering with a focus on quantum computing, you're not going to be very successful in achieving anything in that field.
TheRealShah777
Hello,
I’m currently an Undergraduate Computer Engineer at UIC and minoring in physics. I have become more and more interested in Quantum Computing and its related fields. I plan on continuing my masters in Electrical engineering and taking graduate level physics classes at the same time.

I was wondering if you could help me out in choosing the right classes for quantum computing. I will have the course graduate catalog for the physics department and both the undergraduate and graduate course catalog from the ECE department below.

I am a standing senior so you can start looking at the 300 level or higher classes for the ECE catalog.

ECE Department Undergraduate course catalog: http://catalog.uic.edu/ucat/course-descriptions/ece/
ECE Department Graduate course catalog: http://catalog.uic.edu/gcat/course-descriptions/ece/

Physics Graduate course catalog: http://catalog.uic.edu/gcat/colleges-schools/liberal-arts-sciences/phys/#courseinventory

Thank you for your time and help

Physics news on Phys.org
TheRealShah777 said:
Hello,
I’m currently an Undergraduate Computer Engineer at UIC and minoring in physics. I have become more and more interested in Quantum Computing and its related fields. I plan on continuing my masters in Electrical engineering and taking graduate level physics classes at the same time.

I was wondering if you could help me out in choosing the right classes for quantum computing. I will have the course graduate catalog for the physics department and both the undergraduate and graduate course catalog from the ECE department below.

I am a standing senior so you can start looking at the 300 level or higher classes for the ECE catalog.

ECE Department Undergraduate course catalog: http://catalog.uic.edu/ucat/course-descriptions/ece/
ECE Department Graduate course catalog: http://catalog.uic.edu/gcat/course-descriptions/ece/

Physics Graduate course catalog: http://catalog.uic.edu/gcat/colleges-schools/liberal-arts-sciences/phys/#courseinventory

Thank you for your time and help

First, If you really want to work on quantum computing, you're going to need a PhD. So instead of pursing a masters first, I would go straight to looking into engineering doctorate programs. It's still very much an academic pursuit at this point.

Second, unless you feel really confident, I wouldn't recommend someone with only an engineering background taking graduate physics courses without doing any upper division physics coursework. That's just setting yourself up for failure.

Third, you don't say exactly what you want to do related to quantum computing. Algorithms? Filter design? Whatever? It's a big ol' multidisciplinary area with many working sub parts. Honestly, I would speak with your adviser. Not being an engineer myself, I would recommend any of the filter design courses or the random/probability for engineers course. Are any engineers at UIC working on quantum computing? You should try to get their input too and express your interest in the field.

Likes TheRealShah777
Student100 said:
First, If you really want to work on quantum computing, you're going to need a PhD. So instead of pursing a masters first, I would go straight to looking into engineering doctorate programs. It's still very much an academic pursuit at this point.

Second, unless you feel really confident, I wouldn't recommend someone with only an engineering background taking graduate physics courses without doing any upper division physics coursework. That's just setting yourself up for failure.

Third, you don't say exactly what you want to do related to quantum computing. Algorithms? Filter design? Whatever? It's a big ol' multidisciplinary area with many working sub parts. Honestly, I would speak with your adviser. Not being an engineer myself, I would recommend any of the filter design courses or the random/probability for engineers course. Are any engineers at UIC working on quantum computing? You should try to get their input too and express your interest in the field.

I 100% backing up this view

Likes TheRealShah777

1. What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a branch of computer science that uses the principles of quantum mechanics to perform calculations and solve complex problems.

2. What makes quantum computing different from traditional computing?

Traditional computers use binary bits (0s and 1s) to store and process information, whereas quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits) which can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows quantum computers to perform certain calculations much faster and more efficiently than traditional computers.

3. Who should take a quantum computing course?

Quantum computing courses are typically aimed at students or professionals in the fields of computer science, physics, mathematics, and engineering. However, anyone with an interest in the subject can also benefit from taking a quantum computing course.

4. What concepts are covered in a quantum computing course?

Quantum computing courses cover a range of topics, including the principles of quantum mechanics, quantum algorithms, quantum gates, quantum error correction, and applications of quantum computing in various fields such as cryptography, machine learning, and simulation.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking a quantum computing course?

Some knowledge of linear algebra, calculus, and computer programming is recommended for understanding the concepts taught in a quantum computing course. Some courses may also require a basic understanding of quantum mechanics.