Quantum decoherence and measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the topics of "quantum decoherence" and the role of a conscious observer in measurement in quantum mechanics. The person has not found these topics discussed in the textbooks they have used and is looking for recommendations on where to learn about them. They mention the book "Lectures on Quantum Mechanics" by Weinberg and express skepticism towards the idea that unconscious observers can perform measurements. They also mention two papers, "Do we really understand quantum mechanics?" by Franck Laloe and "The Quantum Measurement Problem: State of Play" by David Wallace, which discuss the measurement problem in quantum mechanics.
thegreenlaser
I keep hearing about things like "quantum decoherence" and the notion that measurement doesn't need a conscious observer. However, I haven't really seen these topics discussed in any of the textbooks I've used (mostly on the level of Griffiths and higher). I haven't even seen a reference to "quantum decoherence" in a textbook, and measurement discussions don't usually seem to talk about what counts as a measurement in practise. Rather, they tend to focus on what happens when a measurement is performed. I don't know if the two concepts are even related, but where can I learn about this sort of thing? I'm guessing maybe Ballentine for the "what counts as a measurement" question, but he doesn't appear to cover decoherence.

Edit: I should probably clarify, since it might seem like I'm asking for an answer to the measurement problem. I realize the measurement problem isn't really resolved, but I frequently hear people saying confidently that (at least in practise) unconscious "observers" are able to perform measurements. I'm wondering if these people are wrong, or if they've learned something that I haven't.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a somewhat contrarian take on decoherence, see Weinberg in his grad-level text "Lectures on Quantum Mechanics",

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1107028728/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Weinberg said:
There seems to be a widespread impression that decoherence solves all obstacles to the class of interpretations of quantum mechanics which take seriously the dynamical assumptions of quantum mechanics as applied to everything, including measurement. My own opinion is that these interpretations, like the Copenhagen interpretation, remain unsatisfactory. ...

Statements of this sort about probabilities are predictions about how the state vectors evolve in time during measurements, so if measurement is really described by quantum mechanics, then we ought to be able to derive such formulas by applying the time-dependent Schrodinger equation to the case of repeated measurement. This not just a matter of intellectual tidiness, of wanting to reduce the postulates of physical theory to the minimum number needed. If the Born rule cannot be derived the time-dependent Schrodinger equation, then something else is needed, something outside the scope of quantum mechanics, and the many worlds interpretation thus shares the inadequacies of the Copenhagen interpretation. ...

thegreenlaser said:
Edit: I should probably clarify, since it might seem like I'm asking for an answer to the measurement problem. I realize the measurement problem isn't really resolved, but I frequently hear people saying confidently that (at least in practise) unconscious "observers" are able to perform measurements. I'm wondering if these people are wrong, or if they've learned something that I haven't.

There are two flavours of this sort of claim.

The first sort is traditional, and does not claim to solve the measurement problem. An example of this is found in Landau and LIfshitz's quantum mechanics textbook. They say that a classical measurement apparatus interacting with the quantum system makes a measurement. However, they still need someone to make the classical/quantum cut, and they note that there is a measurement problem - in their words - classical mechanics is not a less fundamental theory than quantum theory, because classical mechanics is needed to formulate quantum theory.

The second sort is new and mistaken (eg. Anderson, whose claim is described in http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0112095), or makes the claim within
(1) some version of Many-Worlds, in conjunction with the proposed derivation of the Born rule for Many-Worlds by Deutsch, and elaborated on by Wallace. Whether this is correct is still debated
(2) Bohmian mechanics, which is generally regarded as ok for non-relativistic quantum mechanics, but the extension to relativistic quantum mechanics is still being researched.

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0209123
Do we really understand quantum mechanics?
Franck Laloe

http://arxiv.org/abs/0712.0149
The Quantum Measurement Problem: State of Play
David Wallace

What is quantum decoherence?

Quantum decoherence is the process by which a quantum system transitions from a state of superposition to a definite state. It occurs when a quantum system interacts with its environment, causing the system to lose its coherence and behave classically.

What is the role of measurement in quantum decoherence?

Measurement plays a crucial role in quantum decoherence. When a quantum system is measured, it interacts with the measuring device and its environment, causing it to lose its coherence. This results in the collapse of the quantum state and the system taking on a definite state.

How does quantum decoherence affect quantum computing?

Quantum decoherence poses a major challenge in quantum computing. As the number of qubits (quantum bits) increases, the likelihood of decoherence also increases. This can cause errors in quantum calculations, making it difficult to maintain the fragile quantum state needed for quantum computing to be successful.

Can quantum decoherence be reversed?

In most cases, quantum decoherence is irreversible. Once a quantum system has interacted with its environment and lost its coherence, it is difficult to restore it. However, some methods such as quantum error correction can help mitigate the effects of decoherence and improve the stability of quantum systems.

What are some real-world applications of quantum decoherence?

Quantum decoherence has many practical applications, such as in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. It is also being studied in areas such as biology, where quantum decoherence may play a role in processes such as photosynthesis. Additionally, understanding and controlling decoherence is crucial for the development of quantum technologies and devices.