Schwinger's Quantum Mechanics: Symbolism of Atomic Measurements

In summary, Schwinger's Quantum Mechanics: Symbolism of Atomic Measurements is a compilation of lecture notes from Schwinger's QM lectures in the 1950s. It was intended to be a textbook on QM, but was never completed by Schwinger himself. It is not organized in the traditional textbook format and may not be suitable as an introductory text for beginners. However, it is highly praised for its deep insights and is considered among the best books on quantum mechanics along with Pauli's and Dirac's works. It may be difficult to follow at times, but it remains a fascinating read for those interested in delving deeper into the subject.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I had never heard of Schwinger's Quantum Mechanics: Symbolism of Atomic Measurements until very recently. I wonder what you people think about that QM textbook. Is it a good introduction to QM? A reference? Or, possibly an outdated and bad book?

At first glance, it seems a masterpiece to me, but I am no QM guru. Hence my interest in hearing from you!

Physics news on Phys.org
This book is the outcome of lecture notes from Schwinger's QM lectures back in the 1950s, and Schwinger had indeed planned to write a textbook on QM. But this is not it. In fact, in the end he never did, and this book compiled by others from these lecture notes is probably the closest thing to it.

But I would not count it as a textbook in the proper sense (like e.g. Merzbacher, Messiah). The way it is organized into "terms" and the scope of it surely bears witness of its sources (namely, lecture notes).

I would not count it as bad either, neither as outdated -- it is just not a textbook in the proper sense, and if you know about Schwinger a little, you know some of his approaches to physical problems were ingenious on the one hand, but may not be appreciated by a newcomer nowadays. Understanding Schwinger often prerequires a lot of prior understanding.

• Informative
Likes dextercioby, PhDeezNutz, vanhees71 and 1 other person
I bought the book after thumbing through it probably about 30 years ago, so I must have liked it. I am afraid with all the other QM books on my shelf, I have not read much of this one. The QM books that I read the most out of are Shankar, Sakurai, Messiah, Merzbacher, and Landau / Lif Vol 3. Browsing it again seems to suggest it is perhaps idiosyncratic in it's treatment as the earlier post suggests.

• Informative
Likes fluidistic
I think it's among the best books on quantum mechanics ever written. I'd put it at the same level as Pauli's Encyclopedia review on wave mechanics (and his lecture notes on quantum mechanics) and Dirac's book on quantum mechanics. Nevertheless, it's not a book I'd recommend to study it as the first textbook on the subject, because it's pretty unusual in its methodology. Schwinger is usually not easy to read and not very didactical but you always gain some deep insight. This holds even more for his textbook on classical electrodynamics.

• Informative
Likes dextercioby and fluidistic
It's a fascinating book, but I often find it difficult to follow his thinking at critical places. The book by Max Wilcox, Quantum Principles and Particles, uses some of the same approach, but at a more elementary level. Wilcox was a student of Schwinger.

• Informative
Likes Demystifier, fluidistic and vanhees71

1. What is Schwinger's Quantum Mechanics?

Schwinger's Quantum Mechanics is a theoretical framework developed by physicist Julian Schwinger in the 1950s to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. What is the symbolism of atomic measurements in Schwinger's Quantum Mechanics?

The symbolism of atomic measurements in Schwinger's Quantum Mechanics refers to the mathematical symbols and equations used to describe the properties and behavior of particles at the atomic level. This includes symbols for energy, momentum, position, and other physical quantities that are used to calculate and predict the behavior of particles.

3. How does Schwinger's Quantum Mechanics differ from other quantum theories?

Schwinger's Quantum Mechanics differs from other quantum theories, such as Heisenberg's matrix mechanics and Schrödinger's wave mechanics, in its use of a mathematical formalism known as operator algebra. This approach allows for a more precise description of the behavior of particles and their interactions, and has been used to make accurate predictions in experiments.

4. What is the significance of atomic measurements in Schwinger's Quantum Mechanics?

The significance of atomic measurements in Schwinger's Quantum Mechanics lies in its ability to accurately describe and predict the behavior of particles at the atomic level. This has allowed scientists to better understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and has led to the development of new technologies, such as transistors and lasers.

5. How is Schwinger's Quantum Mechanics applied in modern physics?

Schwinger's Quantum Mechanics is still widely used in modern physics, particularly in the fields of particle physics and quantum field theory. It has been applied to a wide range of phenomena, from the behavior of subatomic particles to the properties of materials and the structure of the universe. Its mathematical formalism continues to be a powerful tool for making predictions and understanding the fundamental laws of nature.