Quantum Dynamics and the Second Law of Thermodynamics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
8,707
Reaction score
2,172
I hadn't seen this posted elsewhere already, and it certainly hits on a lot of topics which have been recently discussed:

Irreversibility in Collapse-Free Quantum Dynamics and the Second Law of Thermodynamics by our esteemed member M. B. Weissman:

Abstract: Proposals to solve the problems of quantum measurement via non-linear CPT-violating modifications of quantum dynamics are argued to provide a possible fundamental explanation for the irreversibility of statistical mechanics as well. The argument is expressed in terms of collapse-free accounts. The reverse picture, in which statistical irreversibility generates quantum irreversibility, is argued to be less satisfactory because it leaves the Born probability rule unexplained.

So in one shot, we get to discuss (among other topics): MWI, Thermodynamics, Collapse Postulate, the Measurement Problem and CPT violations! :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DrChinese said:
So in one shot, we get to discuss (among other topics): MWI, Thermodynamics, Collapse Postulate, the Measurement Problem and CPT violations! :smile:

Oh my god! I think I'm going to have a headache!

:)

Zz.
 
OK, I will start off with a basic question. MWI postulates branching to the future. If there is time symmetry, I would imagine that there is also branching to the past. That would mean that there are many possible worlds that lead to this one. Is that correct (assuming what I just said makes any sense) ?