Quantum efficiency as a function of wavelength

In summary, the conversation involved the attempt to reproduce a plot using band-gap energies and finding the quantum efficiency as a function of wavelength. The formula used was Energy(eV) = 1240/wavelength(nm), but it didn't provide much help. The speaker also mentioned a quantum mechanical formula, E=hv, and provided the calculation for it. They apologized for posting in the wrong forum.
gnurf
I'm trying to reproduce the plot in the attached figure. I know the band-gap energies, so I was hoping there was some simple way I could get the quantum efficiency as a function of wavelength. I read on wiki that Energy(eV) = 1240/wavelength(nm), so I mechanically plugged those in, and got

GaInP (Eg=1.85eV): 670 nm
GaAs (Eg=1.42eV): 873 nm
Ge (Eg=0.67eV): 1851 nm

Other than that the respective wavelengths came out in the right order, it didn't really help all that much. Is there some magical quantum mechanical formula I could drink in order to make that plot?

VthIs.png

EDIT: I should probably have posted this in the QM sub-forum. My apologies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
E=h[itex]\upsilon[/itex]
E=[itex]\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/itex]
E=[itex]\frac{h\ =\ 4.135\ \times\ 10^{-15}\ eV\ s\\times\ 3\ \times\ 10^{17}\nm}{\lambda}[/itex]
E=[itex]\frac{1240}{\lambda}[/itex]

1. What is quantum efficiency as a function of wavelength?

Quantum efficiency as a function of wavelength refers to how efficiently a material or device converts incoming photons of different wavelengths into usable energy or electrical current.

2. How is quantum efficiency as a function of wavelength measured?

Quantum efficiency as a function of wavelength is typically measured by shining a range of wavelengths of light onto a sample and measuring the resulting output or response.

3. What factors affect quantum efficiency as a function of wavelength?

The material properties, structure, and environment of a sample can all affect its quantum efficiency as a function of wavelength. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and applied electric or magnetic fields can also impact quantum efficiency.

4. Why is quantum efficiency as a function of wavelength important?

Quantum efficiency as a function of wavelength is important because it allows us to understand and optimize the performance of materials and devices that rely on the conversion of light into usable energy or current. This can have implications for a wide range of applications, from solar cells to electronic displays.

5. How can quantum efficiency as a function of wavelength be improved?

Improving quantum efficiency as a function of wavelength can involve optimizing the material properties, structure, and design of a sample, as well as controlling external factors such as temperature and applied fields. Additionally, research into new materials and techniques may also lead to improvements in quantum efficiency.