Issue in the electron’s infinite self-energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the electron's self-energy and the difficulties it presents in Quantum Electrodynamics. Feynman proposed a solution using a cut-off, but it is not fully satisfactory and the question remains open. The Feynman Diagram for self-energy is only the lowest-order term and the full series involves an infinite number of diagrams, leading to an infinite answer. The conversation also mentions a personal interpretation of obtaining the self-energy through quantum mechanical means, but it is not allowed for discussion in the forum.
USeptim
Hello,

Reading Richard Feynman’s book “Quantum Electrodynamics” (Edited by Advanced Book Classics), I read that the electron’s self-energy is infinite and that has been a trouble for QED during 20 years. Feynman proposed a solution based on a cut-off, but that’s not fully satisfactory and I think the question remains still opened.

The Feynman Diagram that describes self-energy is:

Diagram.png

The integral used in the space-time dominion is:

Integral.png

Where
· ΔE is the electron's self-energy
· V and T is the volume and the period of time and them both are infinite.
· The f's are the wave functions.
· K+ is the zeroth order propagator for a spinor using the Dirac equation.
· γμδ+(s24,3μ is the potential caused by point '3' over point '4'.

The integration is done over time and space in both points '3' and '4'. We can say that '3' emits a virtual photon and '4' absorbs it.

With this data, although we have to divide by 'V' and 'T' in order to obtain the self-energy, a divergent self-energy is obtained.

However, I think it's not correct to set the potential as γμδ+(s4,32μ since this expression is not taking into account the charge density of '3', |f(3)|2.

I think, another way to get the self-energy could be obtained by quantum mechanical means simply by:

ΔE = <f*(t4) |HSE| f(t4)>

Where HSE is the self-energy hamiltonian, that hamiltonian should be:

SE Hamiltonian.png

With this approach, the self-energy is no longer infinite, in fact for a plane-wave (dispersed over the infinite) it's zero.

Can anybody tell me where I am missed? Since for me looks clear that the self-energy should not be infinite.

Thanks a lot!
Sergio PratsNOTE: in self-interactions the initial and the final states must be the same, so this Hamiltonian must not have the same effect in the vawe-function that a normal Hamiltonian.

Physics news on Phys.org
USeptim said:
The Feynman Diagram that describes self-energy is:

This is not "the" diagram for self-energy; it's only the lowest-order term in the perturbation series. The full series involves an infinite number of diagrams, and if you try to just add them all up, the answer comes out infinite. That's the problem Feynman was describing.

USeptim said:
I think, another way to get the self-energy could be obtained by quantum mechanical means simply by:

Do you have a reference for this? PF does not allow discussion of personal theories.

Likes USeptim
PeterDonis said:
Do you have a reference for this? PF does not allow discussion of personal theories.

... Well, it's a personal interpretation...

USeptim said:
it's a personal interpretation

Which means it's off limits here. Thread closed.

Likes BvU

1. What is the electron's infinite self-energy issue?

The electron's infinite self-energy issue is a problem in theoretical physics where the self-energy of an electron, which is the energy it possesses due to its own electromagnetic field, is found to be infinite when calculated theoretically. This poses a challenge for understanding the fundamental properties of electrons and their interactions with other particles.

2. How does this issue impact our understanding of the universe?

This issue has significant implications for our understanding of the universe, as it challenges the current theories and models that describe the fundamental particles and their interactions. It also highlights the need for a more comprehensive theory that can accurately explain the behavior of electrons and other particles at a fundamental level.

3. What are some proposed solutions to this issue?

Scientists have proposed various solutions to the electron's infinite self-energy issue, such as introducing a cutoff point in the calculations to limit the infinite energy, or modifying the equations used to describe the electron's behavior. Other theories suggest that the issue may be resolved by incorporating new principles or particles into our current understanding of physics.

4. Are there any experiments being conducted to address this issue?

Yes, there are ongoing experiments and research studies being conducted to further investigate the electron's infinite self-energy issue. These experiments involve high-energy particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to study the behavior of electrons and other particles in extreme conditions. These experiments aim to provide new insights and data to help resolve this issue.

5. How important is it to find a resolution to this issue?

It is crucial for scientists to find a resolution to the electron's infinite self-energy issue as it plays a significant role in our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics. A resolution to this issue would also help improve our current models and theories, leading to a better understanding of the behavior of particles and their interactions.