1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum electronics/communication project ideas

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    I am pursuing an undergraduate degree in electronics and communication engineering.
    I intend to apply for grad school in physics after my undergrad.

We are starting off with minor projects From next semester, and i would like to work on something that has a strong overlap between physics and electronics/communication.

Quantum physics seems to have a huge overlap with electronics through semiconductor physics.

But i can't figure out the specific problems i could work on.

Im looking for some ideas which are primarily theoretical in nature because i am not really interested in lab work. Simulation would be fine.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2012 #2

EWH

One simple (well, really too simple) project is measuring Planck's constant from the slope of the line of LED voltages plotted vs. wavelengths - that's more a high-school lab than a grad school deal, though. A more theoretical investigation might be to explore some aspect of applications of polarization - well trodden ground, but very instructive. If you want something harder and more current, meta-materials, especially negative refractive index arrays might be a good area. Anything to do with the newer carbon allotropes (bucky-stuff, graphene) is fertile, too. More math/communication oriented is compressed sensing, perhaps you can tie in some quantum information theory.

I found some interesting analogies between analog filters and quantum mechanics, too. Here's a writeup:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook