1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum energy level, calcualting total energy

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The element N has 7 electrons and 7 protons in the atom. An ion of N has all the electrons removed except 1, so it resembles a hydrogen atom with a nuclear charge of +7 e.

E1(Hydrogen)= -13.6eV, r1(Hydrogen)= 5.29x10^-11m.
    k = 8.99x10^9 e = 1.6x10^-19

What is the total energy (in eV) of the lowest energy state available to the ion?

2. Relevant equations

E = -((k*e^2)/(2r))

3. The attempt at a solution

It's been driving me insane! I've put every single combination of variables into the equation, and nothing is coming out correctly. They're all in order of magnitudes wrong, so I think I might be using the wrong constants/variables, or even the wrong equation. Can anyone point me in the right direction, as to what I should be putting where? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2
    Use the equation En=-Z^2*(E0/n^2), where n is the energy level, Z is the number of protons, and E0 is 13.6 eV. I think this will give you the correct answer.

4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    Absolutely brilliant. I haven't seen that equation yet, so I'll have to look it up to understand it, but it sure as heck works! Thanks for your time, hugely appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook