Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum information science and M-theory

1. Jul 1, 2006 #1
    Hello.
    I've got childish question.
    I know that quantum computers are more effective than classical ones
    in solving some problems. Naturally, a thought have come to me: are
    there computers which are more effective than quantum ones, maybe
    some "Superstring" computers? And maybe there are computers which
    are more effective than Superstring computers? And so foth, ad infinitum.:smile:
    I tried to search on the Internet for "superstring computers" with no result.
    Accidentally on the site of John Preskill
    I've found a talk on "quantum computation and the future of physics".
    Here are Preskill's words from this talk:
    "Can a quantum computer simulate M theory efficiently? Perhaps not,
    because of M-theory inherent nonlocality. E.g., a quantum system
    described by M-theory may have no natural tensor product
    decomposition into smaller systems. Thus, M-theory may be a more
    powerful computational model." :surprised

So I decided to ask you, what do you think about all this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2006 #2

f-h

I remember that somebody did point out that some String theory models are computationally ridiculously powerful.
    Anybody remember which paper that was, or remembers something else that might be a lead to finding it?

4. Feb 13, 2007 #3
    Hi :)
    I peeped in to ask what is the progress?
    :rolleyes: Oh! Why it is so difficult to invent "string" computer I can't understand :smile:
    Here Andrew Steane says:
    "To simulate evolution,in general both the classical and quantum computers will be inefficient."
    Does he mean that "string" computers really exist?
    "Therefore the quantum computer is not guaranteed to simulate every physical system efficiently."
    Don't you know what are those systems? Can you give an example of one such system, please?

5. Feb 13, 2007 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This thread is getting to be too highly-speculative, even for this particular forum.

Please note that the reason why we can talk about "quantum computers" is because it is based on a well-established theory that has been verified to no end. That is how we can make applications out of something. We cannot make applications out of something that is still unverified and not understood. Not only that, there isn't JUST ONE string/superstring theory.

Please re-read the PF Guidelines that you have agreed to, especially on overly-speculative post. This thread is done.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?