1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanic. penetration distance and probability Density

1. May 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that a typical electron in a piece of metallic sodium has energy [itex]- E_{0}[/itex] compared to a free electron, where [itex]E_{0}[/itex] is the 2.7 eV work function of sodium.

At what distance beyond the surface of the metal is the electron's probability density 20% of its value at the surface?

2. Relevant equations

[itex]η=\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt{2m( U_{0} - E)}}[/itex]

[itex]ψ_{(x)}=ψ_{edge} e^{-(x-L)/η}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've assumed the surface of the sodium metal is the barrier. I have also assumed [itex]U_{0}-E= 2.7eV[/itex]

Given that the probability density must be 20% at a distance from the surface I've used the following method to get my answer and want to check if my assumptions/work are correct.

I've worked [itex]η≈1.19*10^{-10}m[/itex]

Because I need probability density to be 20% of what it would be at the barrier I've done the following;

[itex]0.2=|ψ|^{2}[/itex]

[itex]ψ_{(x)}=ψ_{edge} e^{-(x-L)/η}[/itex] ∴ [itex]|ψ_{(x)}|^{2}=(ψ_{edge} e^{-(x-L)/η})^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{0.2}=ψ_{edge} e^{-(x-L)/η}[/itex]

Given x value is going to be x value of barrier + zη

[itex]0.447=ψ_{edge} e^{-(zη)/η}[/itex]

[itex]ln 0.447 =ψ_{edge} -(zη)/η[/itex]

[itex]-0.805=ψ_{edge} -(zη)/η[/itex]

[itex]-0.805=-z[/itex]

[itex]z=0.805[/itex]

Would the answer be 0.805η (0.096 nm)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2012 #2
    Problem is now solved, the answer and method was correct

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook