Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quantum mechanics - a free particle

1. Mar 29, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone!

If we measure the position of a particle in a free space, and say we find that it is at x0,

what is the wavefunction right after the measurement in x representation?

shouldn't it be delta (x-x0), because delta functions are the eigenfunctions of the position operator?

Another question is how do I find the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian of a free particle in x representation?

Thanks in advance:blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello! :)

Yes, up to a normalization constant I think. I don't have my quantum book handy so you might want to check on this. But the wavefunction will at least be proportional to a delta function.

You solve the Schrodinger equation with [itex]V(x)=0[/itex].

4. Apr 10, 2008 #3
    thank you!:smile:

I solved the Schrodinger equation and got the function:
    Aexp(ikx)+Bexp(-ikx).

This means that any private case (like A=0 and B=1) is an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian. Can I conclude that the Hamiltonian has an infinite number of eigenfunctions?

I also notice that there are only two basic "types" here - exp(ikx) and exp(-ikx).
    Does it mean that these two form a basis of the Hamiltonian eigenfunctions space? is it considered as a Hilbert space?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook