Momentum measurement of a particle in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the question asks for the momentum measurement of a particle with a given wave-function and for a sketch of the probability distribution of finding the particle between x = 0 to x = 2π. The eigenvalues of the momentum operator are given by ## A e^{ikx}## where k = ## \frac p {\hbar} ## and the total probability is one. The probability density is given by ## | \psi |^2 = 3 + 2 ( e^{ i2x} +e^{-i2x} )##, a real-valued function. A sketch of the probability as a function of ##x## is also required.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

What will momentum measurement of a particle whose wave - function is given by ## \psi = e^{i3x} + 2e^{ix} ## yield?
Sketch the probability distribution of finding the particle between x = 0 to x = 2π.

Homework Equations

upload_2018-8-27_22-58-6.png

upload_2018-8-27_23-7-26.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The eigenfunctions of momentum operator is given by ## A e^{ikx}## where k = ## \frac p {\hbar} ## with eigen value p = ## {\hbar} k##.
Thus eigenvalue of ##e^{i3x}## is ## 3 \hbar ## and ##e^{ix}## is ## \hbar ##. I feel myself tempted to take the eigenvalues of momentum operator to be discrete and say that the momentum measurement will be either ## 3 \hbar ## or ## \hbar ##.
As the eigenvalue of momentum operator is continuous, I should use equation. (3.56) to answer the question.

Assuming that the question asks to calculate the probability distribution at t = 0, probability density would be given by ## | \psi |^2 = 3 + 2 ( e^{ i2x} +e^{-i2x} )##., a complex function. But, the probability density should be a real valued function.
Is this correct?

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-27_22-58-6.png
    upload_2018-8-27_22-58-6.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 854
  • upload_2018-8-27_23-7-26.png
    upload_2018-8-27_23-7-26.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 911
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Plane waves are not normalizable so you really cannot write the probability in that manner (the wave function in momentum space is a sum of two delta functions). However, given the coefficients you should be able to deduce the probabilities (the coefficients are the probability amplitudes) by assuming that the total probability is one.

Orodruin said:
the coefficients are the probability amplitudes
How does one get to know this in case of continuous eigenvalues?

Pushoam said:
Assuming that the question asks to calculate the probability distribution at t = 0, probability density would be given by ## | \psi |^2 = 3 + 2 ( e^{ i2x} +e^{-i2x} )##., a complex function. But, the probability density should be a real valued function.
Is this correct?
I think you made a slight error. Anyway, your expression for ##| \psi |^2## is real.

vela said:
I think you made a slight error. Anyway, your expression for ##| \psi |^2## is real.
However, it does not answer the question since it is the momenta that are asked for, not the position.

Part of the question asked for a sketch of the probability as a function of ##x##.

vela said:
Part of the question asked for a sketch of the probability as a function of ##x##.
That's what I get for reading too fast ...

1. What is momentum measurement in quantum mechanics?

Momentum measurement in quantum mechanics refers to the process of determining the momentum of a particle based on its wave function. This involves using mathematical operators to calculate the average momentum of the particle, as well as the uncertainty in its momentum.

2. How is momentum measured in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, momentum is measured using the momentum operator, which is represented by the symbol p. This operator acts on the wave function of a particle and produces a numerical value that represents the momentum of the particle.

3. What is the uncertainty principle in relation to momentum measurement?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact momentum and position of a particle at the same time. This means that the more accurately we measure the momentum of a particle, the less accurately we can know its position, and vice versa.

4. How does measuring momentum affect the wave function of a particle?

Measuring the momentum of a particle causes its wave function to collapse into a specific state. This means that the particle's momentum becomes definite, but at the same time, its position becomes more uncertain.

5. Can the momentum of a particle in quantum mechanics be measured with 100% accuracy?

No, according to the uncertainty principle, it is impossible to measure both the exact momentum and position of a particle at the same time. This means that there will always be some level of uncertainty in the measurement of a particle's momentum in quantum mechanics.