1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Quantum mechanics and mathematical physics textbooks

1. Dec 22, 2015 #1
    Hello!can someone propose a good text book for quantum mechanics and mathematical physics(including green function)?I would like to buy those books so i want something which is one of the best to have in your libraby!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2015 #2
    For a book in mathematical physics i recommend Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics - Byron, Fuller, it's a Dover book, so it's cheap!:), and for QM, depends on your level in the subject...

4. Dec 23, 2015 #3
    a graduate level in QM.can you proposed another for Mathematical physics because i have Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics - Byron, Fuller and its great btw!

5. Dec 25, 2015 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

If you mean with "Mathematical Physics" some math-for-physicists book, I'd recommend

S. Hassani, Mathematical Physics, Springer

Anyway, before you buy any textbook, I'd recommend to look at it before, e.g., borrowing it from a library. Usually textbooks are quite expensive, and not every recommendation may be the right one for you, and then it's a waste of money!

6. Dec 25, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Good book, but this really introduces the mathematics for physicists. Maybe this is what you're looking for. Or maybe you want a more indepth treatment of the math. In that case, you'll need to do math books.

7. Dec 25, 2015 #6
    The "mathematical foundation of quantum mechanics" class at my school uses "Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians" by Leon A. Takhtajan. You might want to check it out.

8. Dec 26, 2015 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

This is indeed a bit of confusion. I'd call Hassani's book "Mathematical methods for physicists", while a book with the title "Mathematical Physics" I'd expect to be more of the kind of the famous four-volume book by Thirring or Arnold's "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" (which by the way is also just marvelous, but restricted to classical mechanics as the title clearly states).

9. Dec 27, 2015 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Jan 1, 2016 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted