Quantum mechanics (angular momentum)

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the probabilities of a particle described by a wave function. The wave function is expressed in terms of the position and phase angle, and the probabilities are given for different values of the angular momentum. The conversation also mentions using a specific equation to express the cosine squared term in terms of phi states. However, there is confusion about how to calculate these probabilities, as the methods typically used for position and state collapsing do not seem applicable.
icelevistus
A particle is described by the wave function

\[CapitalPsi] (\[Rho], \[Phi]) =
AE^(-\[Rho]^2/2 \[CapitalDelta]^2) (Cos[\[Phi]])^2

Show

P (Subscript[l, z] = 0) = 2/3
P (Subscript[l, z] = 2 h) = 1/6
P (Subscript[l, z] = -2 h) = 1/6

I have already used

Subscript[\[CapitalPhi], m] (\[Phi]) = 1/Sqrt[2 \[Pi]] E^Im\[Phi]

as the problem suggests to express the cos^2 as PHI(sub m) states

I am simply brickwalled at how to calculate these probabilities. The only way I remember to calculate probabilities given a wavefunction is for position (probability of measuring the particle within a certain region). Or also, I remember how to find the probability of a wavefunction collapsing to a particular state if it is written as a linear combination of states. Can someone point me to the relevant equation or idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, looks like that Mathematica code was no good.

Is it still legible?

1. What is angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

Angular momentum in quantum mechanics is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a quantum system. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is quantized and can only take on discrete values.

2. How is angular momentum measured in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is measured using the operators Lx, Ly, and Lz, which represent the x, y, and z components of angular momentum, respectively. These operators act on the wave function of a quantum system and produce eigenvalues, which represent the possible values of angular momentum for that system.

3. What is the significance of angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics, as it is one of the fundamental quantities that determines the behavior of quantum systems. It is conserved in many physical processes and is used to describe the properties of particles, such as their spin and orbital motion.

4. How does angular momentum relate to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. In the case of angular momentum, the more precisely we know its direction, the less precisely we can know its magnitude, and vice versa.

5. Can angular momentum be changed in a quantum system?

Yes, angular momentum can be changed in a quantum system through interactions with other particles or external forces. However, the total angular momentum of a closed quantum system is conserved, meaning that any changes in one component of angular momentum will be compensated by opposite changes in the other components.