1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics: Expression for electron density

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    I'm a little confused about the expression for the electron density.

For example in Marder's Condensed Matter Physics, he writes this

[tex] \rho(\vec{r}) = N \int \Psi^{*} \delta( \vec{r} - \vec{r}_1) \Psi d\vec{r}_1 \ldots d\vec{r}_N \delta [/tex]

what's going on?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2
    What are you confused about? If you're just getting started in QM you might want to pick up Griffiths book.

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

He's taking the many-electron wavefunction, squaring it, and integrating over all but one of the coordinates.
    I.e.,
    [tex]
    \rho(\vec r) \equiv N \int d^3r_2 d^3r_3 d^3r_4\ldots d^3r_N |\Psi(\vec r,\vec r_2,\vec r_3,\vec r_4,\ldots,\vec r_N)|^2
    [/tex]
    it desn't matter which one is singled out because the wavefunction is either symmetric or antisymmetric in all it's coordinates and thus the squared wavefunction is symmetric in it's coordinates. multiplication by N is because we want rho normalized such that
    [tex]\int d^3r \rho = N[/tex]
    rather than normalized to 1.

5. Mar 5, 2008 #4
    Ah thank you! So am I right to say that this integral

[tex]
    \int d^3r_2 d^3r_3 d^3r_4\ldots d^3r_N |\Psi(\vec r,\vec r_2,\vec r_3,\vec r_4,\ldots,\vec r_N)|^2
    [/tex]

is just the probability of finding an electron in any volume element?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?