[Quantum mechanics] How about this book?

In summary, the conversation discusses various books on quantum mechanics and makes recommendations for beginners. Gennaro Auletta's book and Brian Cox's book are mentioned as good starting points, while David Griffiths, Shankar, and Jim Khalili's books are recommended for a more technical understanding. John Townsend's book is also mentioned, with mixed opinions on its usefulness. The conversation ends with a request for help with a specific problem and a reminder to follow forum rules. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of finding the right book for one's level and learning style when studying quantum mechanics.
FluffyFriend
Gennaro Auletta's Quantum Mechanics, any of you folks read this book before? Is it okay for beginners?

Also, can anyone please recommend me one or two textbooks on quantum physics? It's better be employed by well-renowned American universities/colleges. And the authors better be American or English. The authors of the book I mentioned in the prior paragraph are all Italians.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

I personally just finished the Feynman lectures in the book QED: The strange theory of light and matter. I found that one fascinating and finished all four lectures in four days.

Also, Brian Cox recently released a fascinating book, Why does E=mc^2, and why should I care. This one is heavier in relativity and less on quantum theory, but he does go into both. He stays out of the math, which depending on your perspective may be a good thing or a bad thing. I definitely consider this one a good starting point.

Lastly, if you haven't already, Microsoft has released all 7 feynman messenger lectures online for free. Definitely worth a watch.
http://research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/

Auletta's book is quite nice (it's not with me right now but back at uni) but I'm not sure I would recommend it for absolute beginners. Instead look at texts such as those by http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470853247/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as technical books I would first recommend "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths followed by "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Shankar.

Jim Khalili's, "What is Quantum" is a wonderful non-technical book.

For Quantum Field Theory I'm currently reading the textbook by Mark Srednicki.

How about Quantun Mechanics:An Introduction by David Griffth?

kakarotyjn said:
How about Quantun Mechanics:An Introduction by David Griffth?

Already recommended above: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0131911759/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's a great book for a first technical experience in quantum mechanics. Griffith's explains things very well, but does not present the all the mathematical formalism that needs to be presented. (i.e. The book is very weak with Dirac notation.)

Has anyone had any experience with Townshend? (Spelling?) I hear it's a decent "pre- Sakurai" book at an undergraduate level.

Griffith's/Shankar -> Sakurai

Feldoh said:
Griffith's/Shankar -> Sakurai

Or Griffith's/Shankar -> Ballentine
G01 said:
Has anyone had any experience with Townshend? (Spelling?) I hear it's a decent "pre- Sakurai" book at an undergraduate level.

John Townsend has written two quantum books. I think that mean you mean A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1891389130/?tag=pfamazon01-20,

not Quantum Physics: A Fundamental Approach to Quantum Physics,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1891389629/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

A few years ago, A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics was in the library of the school I was then at, and I quickly leafed through it a few times. It looked to be very interesting, but this is a very personal, very quick opinion. You might want to take a look at parts of this book, including its preface, in Google Books,

http://books.google.com/books?id=3_...dq=townsend+quantum&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false.

We used Townsend at my school. I, and most others, liked it a lot (although I still think Shankar is better).

nicksauce said:
We used Townsend at my school. I, and most others, liked it a lot (although I still think Shankar is better).

hi everyone,
have you got any link for shankar's solution?
I have some problems with "addition of angular momentums"!
:cry:

shadi_s10 said:
hi everyone,
have you got any link for shankar's solution?
I have some problems with "addition of angular momentums"!
:cry:

Isn't this against the forum rules?

I don't think so!
I have a problem with problem 15.3.3
and some other problems in this chapter
help me please! exams coming! :yuck:

LithiumHelios said:
Auletta's book is quite nice (it's not with me right now but back at uni) but I'm not sure I would recommend it for absolute beginners. Instead look at texts such as those by http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470853247/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

I recommend these exact same three books. If you work your way through these, you'll know quantum mechanics. The Betts & Davies book is great for conceptual understanding, while the Griffiths book gives you problems, & a more solid mathematical introduction to work with, Philips on the other hand is a mixture of both & is a bit unique in it's presentation.

1. What is the main focus of the book?

The main focus of this book is to introduce the principles and concepts of quantum mechanics, the study of the behavior of matter and energy at a subatomic level.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners as it provides a comprehensive and easy-to-understand explanation of the fundamental concepts of quantum mechanics.

3. What makes this book different from other books on quantum mechanics?

This book presents a unique approach to teaching quantum mechanics by incorporating real-life examples, practical applications, and analogies to help readers better understand the complex concepts.

4. Do I need a strong background in math and physics to understand this book?

While a basic understanding of math and physics can be helpful, this book is written in a way that is accessible to readers with varying levels of knowledge in these subjects. The important mathematical concepts are explained in a clear and concise manner.

5. Can this book be used as a reference guide for advanced concepts?

Yes, this book not only covers the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics but also delves into more advanced topics such as quantum entanglement and quantum computing, making it a useful reference guide for those looking to deepen their understanding of the subject.