Popular book on Quantum mechanics

In summary, I lost my book on Quantum mechanics and it was published in the late 80s or early 90s. It used algebra with more advanced math in the appendices. If you know the author, please reply. Thanks!
Don
I lost my book on Quantum mechanics! It was published in the late 80s or early 90s in England. Title: Quantum Mechanics. The book used algebra with more advanced math in the appendices. If you know the author , please reply. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only one I can think of is Dirac’s book but it’s more intense mathematically.

In college, we used Schiffs Quantum Mechanics 1970 timeframe and the profs used to praise Rojanskys book on QM circa 1950, 1960.

I found a Teach Yourself book on Quantum Mechanics that looks simpler mathematically.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=teach+yourself+quantum+mechanics&tag=pfamazon01-20

And then there’s Susskinds book on Quantum Mechanics The Theoretical Minimum.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465062903/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I also found an online book by Binney here:

https://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/people/JamesBinney/qb.pdf

Last edited:
Likes smodak
Don said:
I lost my book on Quantum mechanics! It was published in the late 80s or early 90s in England. Title: Quantum Mechanics. The book used algebra with more advanced math in the appendices. If you know the author , please reply. Thanks!
There are so many! What color was the cover? Did you recall the cover design (I am not kidding, it would be helpful). It was a hardcover, probably?
Do you mean that it was first published in the 80s or 90s? Or could it have just been a reedition?

Off the top of my head, I can think of Dirac (an older and very slim book), Messiah, Schiffs, Landau, Bethe, (these are rather old), Sakurai, Cohen and Tannoudji et al, Shankar, Goswami, Zettili, Griffiths, Ballentine, Greiner etc. There are tons. Did you try to go on Amazon and just ask for books on quantum mechanics and look at the covers to see if you recognize your book?

Last edited:
Likes smodak

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It explains the fundamental nature of matter and energy, and how they interact with each other.

2. Who discovered quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics was developed by several scientists, including Max Planck, Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, and Erwin Schrodinger, in the early 20th century.

3. What are the key concepts of quantum mechanics?

The key concepts of quantum mechanics include superposition, uncertainty principle, wave-particle duality, and entanglement. These concepts help explain the behavior of particles at a microscopic level and have led to groundbreaking discoveries in modern technology.

4. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is based on the laws of Newtonian physics, which describe the behavior of objects at a macroscopic level. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, deals with the behavior of particles at a microscopic level and follows different laws, such as the Schrodinger equation.

5. What are some practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous practical applications, including the development of transistors, lasers, and computer technology. It is also used in medical imaging, cryptography, and quantum computing.