1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics - Infinite Potential Well

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is trapped in an infinite potential well, with the infinite walls at ±a. At time t=0, the wavefunction of the particle is

[tex]\psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2a}}[/tex]

between -a and a, and 0 otherwise.

Find the probability that the Energy of the particle is [tex]\frac{9 \bar{h}^2 \pi^2}{8ma^2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]E_n = \frac{n^2\bar{h}^2\pi^2}{8ma}[/tex]

[tex]\psi = A \cos{\frac{(2r+1) \pi x}{2a}}[/tex] for |x| < a
    [tex]\psi = 0[/tex] otherwise

3. The attempt at a solution

I've calculated the above equations, but I'm unsure how to get from them to the probability of the particle having a certain energy. This could be really simple and it's me just having a brain dead moment, but any help would be very much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2
    btw there is also a sin solution with an argument (in your notation) 2r(pi)x/a

personally I prefer the notation n(pi)x/a n even

however the cos solution you wrote is the one you want with r=1, that 2r+1 thing is just a way of writing n so that n is always odd.

so just take the projection of psi at t=0 on your cos function and square the answer

4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    The sin solution isn't valid because this well has even parity (i.e. it's symmetric).

How do I find A? Presumably I need to use the initial condition of Psi, but I found when doing that that A is x dependent, when it should be a constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?