1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Quantum Mechanics) Infinite Square Well

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Hi, I'm stuck in this Griffiths' Introduction to QM problem (#2.8)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle in the infinite square well has the initial wave function

[itex]\Psi(x,0) = Ax(a-x)[/itex]

Normalize [itex]\Psi(x,0)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex] \int_{0}^{a} |\Psi(x)|^2 dx = 1 [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Haha, this is supposed to be the least of my problems but... doing

[itex] A^2 \int_{0}^{a} x^2 (a-x)^2 dx = 1 [/itex]
    gives us [itex] A = \sqrt{\frac{30}{a^5}} [/itex].

When the correct answer is [itex] A = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} [/itex]. I have no clue what I did wrong...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The normalization constant A = sqrt(2/a) is appropriate for ψ(x) = A sin(nπx/a). Here you have ψ(x) = Ax(a-x). Different wavefunctions have different normalization constants.

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3
    Kuruman... indeed [itex]A = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}[/itex] is appropriate for [itex]\psi[/itex] as a sin function. But when checking the result i got, i found this solution for the exact same problem:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/6186/64732846.jpg [Broken]

The integral limit is set to 0,a/2... I'm not sure why, and if this is correct. For now i'll stick with my solution

_____________________________________________________________________________
    By the way... (a correlated problem) trying to prove that: [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi_n^*(x) \psi_m (x) dx = \delta_{n,m}[/itex] (Kronecker delta).

For n = m, and [itex]\psi_n (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{a}),\in \Re[/itex], i'm coming up with

[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi_{n}^{2}(x) dx [/itex] = [itex]\frac{-1}{a} cos(\frac{n\pi x}{a}) sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a})|_{-\infty}^{\infty} + \frac{1}{a} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx[/itex]

The first term goes to 0, but the second would result in 1 for like... [itex] \int_{0}^{a}[/itex], not [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} [/itex]. Again... where am I messing up?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Aug 23, 2011 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not the exact same problem. The problem above has yet a third wavefunction that is constant for 0≤x≤a/2 and zero everywhere else. That is the reason why the upper limit is set at a/2. If you extend the integral beyond a/2, you will be adding a whole bunch of zeroes since ψ(x) is zero, so you might as well use a/2 for the upper limit.

Here I assume that you are using particle-in-the-box wavefunctions. All of them are zero for x≤0 and x≥a. What do you think your limits of integration ought to be?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Aug 23, 2011 #5
    Hmm, ok! So it's a different problem

It makes sense now, I forgot the conditions... You're right, it is [itex]\int_{0}^{a}[/itex]!
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook