Quantum Mechanics Ladder Operator and Dirac Notation

In summary, the eigenvalue equation states that: -L^{2}|\ell,m> = h^2\ell(\ell + 1)|\ell,m>-L_z|\ell,m> = m|\ell-L_{\stackrel{+}{-}}|\ell,m> = h\sqrt{(\ell \stackrel{-}{+} m)(\ell \stackrel{+}{-} m + 1)}|\ell, m \stackrel{+}{-} 1>-Compute <L_{x}>.
brooke1525

Homework Statement

I'm given the eigenvalue equations
L[tex]^{2}[/tex]|[tex]\ell[/tex],m> = h[tex]^2\ell(\ell + 1)|\ell[/tex],m>
[tex]L_z[/tex]|[tex]\ell[/tex],m> = m|[tex]\ell[/tex]
[tex]L_{\stackrel{+}{-}}[/tex]|[tex]\ell[/tex],m> = h[tex]\sqrt{(\ell \stackrel{-}{+} m)(\ell \stackrel{+}{-} m + 1)}[/tex]|[tex]\ell[/tex], m [tex]\stackrel{+}{-}[/tex] 1>

Compute <[tex]L_{x}[/tex]>.

Homework Equations

Know that [tex]L_x = (1/2)(L_+ + L_-)[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Need to compute <[tex]\ell[/tex],m|[tex]L_x[/tex]|[tex]\ell[/tex],m>.

= (1/2)(<[tex]\ell[/tex],m)([tex]L_+[/tex] + [tex]L_-[/tex])([tex]\ell[/tex],m>)

= (1/2)(<[tex]\ell[/tex],m|[tex]L_+[/tex]|[tex]\ell[/tex],m> + <[tex]\ell[/tex],m|[tex]L_-[/tex]|[tex]\ell[/tex],m>)

I don't think I have a good grasp on how to work with dirac notation, so this as far as I can get before I get stuck. Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right lines. Now you need to evaluate what the L+ operator acting on the state |l,m> is, and the same for L-. then you will have something which has the form < | > + < | >. From this point, the answer is straightforward.

Thats about as precise as i can be without doing it for you, i think, sorry if its a little abstract.

When I'm evaluating the ladder operators for the state |l,m>, how do I deal with the fact that the corresponding eigenvalue is for |l,m+-1>?

what is <l=1,m=1|l=1,m=0> for instance?

or what was your latest question reffering to?

That's what my question was about. I don't understand what it means to have <l_a, m_a | l_b, m_b>. If they were the same l's and m's, it should be 1, yes? But otherwise, I'm lost...

brooke1525 said:
That's what my question was about. I don't understand what it means to have <l_a, m_a | l_b, m_b>. If they were the same l's and m's, it should be 1, yes? But otherwise, I'm lost...

If they are not same state, then it is ?... guess ;-)

Just 0?

YES! :-)

|L_a , M_b > is same state as |L_c, M_d> if and only if a=c and b=d

What is the physical interpretation of <quantum numbers "a" | quantum numbers "b">? Is it the probability that a system in the "b" state will simultaneously be in the "a" state?

[tex]<a|b> = \int _V\psi _a(\vec{r})^*\psi_b(\vec{r})d^3r[/tex]

Where the [itex]\psi _a(\vec{r})[/itex] is the Wavefunction for the state a in position space.

Now you see why dirac formalism is superior, you don't need to know or write all the eigenfunction to the operators and so on, just label the state by the things that are important for you at the moment.

If you wanted to write your angular momentum states bra-ket in "old style":
[tex]<L_c , M_d |L_a , M_b > = \int Y_{L_c}^{M_d}^*(\theta,\phi)Y_{L_a}^{M_b}}(\theta,\phi)\sin \theta d\theta d\phi[/tex]

where [itex]Y_{L_c}^{M_d}(\theta,\phi)[/itex] is the so called "Spherical harmonic" function.

Last edited:
Ohhh, okay. Thanks so much for all your help, I think things are becoming much clearer!

good luck and please ask questions here again.

1. What is a ladder operator in quantum mechanics?

A ladder operator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a quantum system. It allows for the calculation of the energy levels and transitions between them.

2. How is Dirac notation used in quantum mechanics?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a notation system used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states and operators. It uses a combination of angle brackets and symbols to represent the state of a quantum system and the operations on it.

3. Can ladder operators be used to find the eigenvalues of a quantum system?

Yes, ladder operators can be used to find the eigenvalues of a quantum system. The eigenvalues represent the possible energy levels of the system and can be calculated using the ladder operators.

4. What is the relationship between ladder operators and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

Ladder operators are related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle through the commutation relations. The uncertainty principle states that certain properties of a particle, such as position and momentum, cannot be known simultaneously with absolute certainty. The commutation relations of ladder operators are related to these properties and therefore, are connected to the uncertainty principle.

5. How do ladder operators affect the energy of a quantum system?

Ladder operators affect the energy of a quantum system by changing the state of the system. They can raise or lower the energy of the system by one quantum unit, depending on the direction of the operator. This allows for the calculation of energy levels and transitions between them.