Quantum Mechanics - Leonard Susskind on Integration by Parts

In summary, Dr. Susskind discusses integration by parts in his lecture on Quantum Mechanics. He states that ∫FG' = -∫GF', which may seem different from the traditional formula of ∫FdG = FG - ∫GdF. However, this is due to the specific function being dealt with, the wavefunction ψ, and the boundary conditions that make the term FG vanish. These boundary conditions state that ψ goes to 0 at x = + or - infinity. This clarifies the discrepancy between the two integration by parts formulas.
Jonnyb42
I'm watching the video series on Quantum Mechanics taught by Leonard Susskind, (from Stanford).

On Lecture #3, Dr. Susskind says that integration by parts is:

∫FG' = -∫GF'

However from what I know integral by parts to be, there i missing a +FG on the righthand side, or something... since I don't recognize that as the same as
∫FdG = FG - ∫GdF

The specific function that was being dealt with was the wavefunction ψ, (where F = G = ψ) so maybe that could have to do with it... I don't think ψ^2 = 0 though.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The "FG" part is evaluated at the boundary. I assume there are boundary conditions that make that term vanish.

He mentioned something about boundary conditions, could you explain to me what you mean? What boundary conditions could make the term vanish?

If F or G is some wavefunction ψ then the boundary condition says that ψ goes to 0 at x = + or - infinity.

Right ok thanks, I lost my mind there a little bit!

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how particles interact with each other and how they behave in different energy states.

2. Who is Leonard Susskind?

Leonard Susskind is a renowned physicist and professor at Stanford University. He is known for his contributions to the fields of quantum mechanics, string theory, and cosmology.

3. What is integration by parts in quantum mechanics?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to solve complex integrals. It involves breaking down an integral into smaller parts and using the properties of differentiation and integration to simplify the calculation.

4. Why is integration by parts important in quantum mechanics?

Integration by parts is important in quantum mechanics because it helps physicists solve complicated integrals that arise in the equations of quantum mechanics. These integrals are essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. How does integration by parts relate to other concepts in quantum mechanics?

Integration by parts is closely related to other mathematical concepts in quantum mechanics, such as wave functions, operators, and eigenvalues. It is also used in various quantum mechanical methods, such as perturbation theory, to solve problems and make predictions about particle behavior.