Quantum mechanics "not quantized"

In summary, the lecturer says that QM is not quantized, because you can smoothly go from one energy level to the next if you introduce a pertubation parameter. He also says that QM is not inherently quantised, because the free particle isn't.
maka89
Hi, I am currently watching this lecture series, and was wondering about something. At some point the lecturer says that QM is "not quantized", because if you express your solution to the schrodinger equationby introducing a pertubation parameter [itex]\epsilon[/itex], you will go smoothly from one energylevel to the next if you integrate episilon around the singularities in the complex plane(or something like that). Can anyone elaborate? And what does he mean by Riemann Sheet?

Here's the link :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The lecture is 1 hour and a half long. You will have to be more precise than "at some point."

I think the link was set to the point were he says it? If not i will fix it later

I had a look at the first lecture.

It is very very good bringing together a lot of ideas I have gleaned elsewhere. Because of that I will be watching them all.

But so far he hasn't said it's not quantised - he will explain why its quantised.

However I have to say QM is not inherently quantised - the free particle isn't.

Thanks
Bill

I searched for "quant" in the time-indexed transcript that youtube automatically generates, and found the relevant part at 1:16:35.

No comment on the actual issue.

Its at 1:15 ish yes. But i shared the video so that it starts there.

Yeah its amazing, bhobba. I haven't managed to watch the entire series, but I got a hold of his book, which covers the topic as well. Much of it is pretty basic stuff, just that I wouldn't get the idea to apply it^^ except for the WKB/Boundary layer and multi-scale stuff that he gets into in the end of the course. That I don't quite understand

If you watch through the series, please take note of the time when he uses the analogy "Suppose you were walking down the street and someone asked you to solve the following eigenvalue problem...". I might just make a montage ^^

EDIT: And btw. Depending on if your uni has access, you can get his book as an ebook for free at http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-1-4757-3069-2

He answers your query in detail in lecture 3.

I did complex variables in my math degree but didn't cover this - very interesting.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. It describes how particles such as electrons and photons interact with each other and their surroundings.

2. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of objects at the macroscopic level, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. Unlike classical mechanics, quantum mechanics allows for particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously and their behavior cannot be predicted with certainty.

3. What is quantization in quantum mechanics?

Quantization is the process of assigning discrete values to physical quantities such as energy and angular momentum. In quantum mechanics, these quantities are quantized, meaning they can only exist in certain discrete levels rather than being continuous.

4. How does quantum mechanics explain the behavior of particles?

According to quantum mechanics, particles exist in a state of superposition, meaning they can exist in multiple states at the same time. When a measurement is made, the particle's state is collapsed into a single outcome. This is known as the wave function collapse.

5. What are some practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It also plays a crucial role in cryptography and quantum computing.