1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics, potential barrier

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m goes toward the unidimensional barrier potential of the form [itex]V(x)=0[/itex] for [itex]x\leq 0[/itex] and [itex]a\leq x[/itex] and [itex]V(x)=V_0[/itex] for [itex]0<x<a[/itex].
    1)Write the corresponding Schrödinger's equation.
    2)Calculate the transmission coefficient for the cases [itex]0<E<V_0[/itex] and [itex]E>V_0[/itex]. Hint: Check out quantum mechanics books.

2. Relevant equations
    Schrödinger's equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved the Schrödinger's equation for Psi.
    The result I have is
    [itex]\Psi _I (x)=Ae^{ik_1 x}+Be^{-i _k1x}[/itex]
    [itex]\Psi _{II}(x)=De^{-k_2x}[/itex]
    [itex]\Psi _{III}(x)=Fe^{ik_1x}[/itex].
    The continuity conditions give:
    (1) [itex]A+B=D[/itex].
    (2) [itex]i k_1 A-i k_1 B=-k_2 D[/itex].
    (3) [itex]De^{-k_2a}=Fe^{ik_1a}[/itex]
    (4) [itex]-k_2 De^{-ak_2}=ik_1 Fe^{ik_1a}[/itex].

I isolated B in function of A. I reached [itex]B=A \cdot \frac{\left (1 +\frac{ik_1}{k_2} \right ) }{ \left ( \frac{ik_1}{k_2} -1\right )}[/itex].
    Since [itex]D=A+B[/itex], I got D in function of A only.
    And since [itex]F=De^{-a(k_2+ik_1)}[/itex], I reached F in function of A only.
    Now the coefficient of transmission is [itex]\frac{F}{A}[/itex]. This gives me [itex]\left [ 1+ \frac{\left ( 1+ \frac{ik_1}{k_2} \right ) }{\left ( \frac{ik_1}{k_2}-1 \right ) } \right ] e^{-a(k_2+i_k1)}[/itex].
    I checked out in Cohen-Tanoudji's book about this and... he says that F/A represent the transmission coeffient just like me but then in the algebra, he does [itex]T= \big | \frac{F}{A} \big | ^2[/itex]. He reaches [itex]T=\frac{4k_1^2k_2^2}{4k_1^2k_2^2+(k_1^2-k_2^2)^2 \sin k_2 a}[/itex].
    So I don't understand why he says F/A but does the modulus of it to the second power. And he seems to get a totally different answer from mine.
    By the way my [itex]k_1=\sqrt {\frac{-2mE}{\hbar ^2}}[/itex] and my [itex]k_2=\sqrt {\frac{2m(V_0-E)}{\hbar ^2}}[/itex].
    What am I doing wrong?!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's possible to get reflections at x=a, so the region II wave function needs to be modified.

The transmission coefficient is |F/A|2.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Where did he say this? I can never find anything in that encyclopedia of a textbook.

The closest thing I saw was that he said you could get the transmission coefficient from the ratio, but he never actually said the ratio itself was the transmission coefficient.

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ah whoops, I totally missed this.
    Again oops once again. You're right, he says that the ratio allows us to determine the coefficients.
    Ok I understand now why it's the modulus to the second power. I'll rework on that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook