1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics - quick question about probability

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1
    Quantum - probability in a state
    I have an eigenvalue (d) and i need to find the probability of it in a state k.

What is the equation?
    <k|d|k> ?

I have spent some thought on this and it seems to simple.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2012 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that <k|d|k>=d<k|k>=d.

I'm not sure what the exact question is. I'm guessing that what you have in mind is that the state preparation procedure has put the system in state |k>, that you're going to measure an observable D, and that d is an eigenvalue of D with a 1-dimensional eigenspace. Then the probability that the result of the D measurement will be d is ##|\langle d|k\rangle|^2##, where |d> is a normalized eigenstate of D with eigenvalue d.

<k|D|k> is the average value you will get if you do this measurement on many identically prepared systems.

4. Feb 26, 2012 #3
    If you have a state |k> then you want to take the inner product with the eigenbra <d|

If you expand |k> in d eigens then
    |k> = <d|k>|d>
    (Sum over d)

So <d|k> is the expansion coefficient for |d> or how much |d> is in |k> eg, it is the 'probability' of |k> as being in the eigenstate |d>

Taking the inner product with your chosen <d'| gives

<d'|k> = <d|k><d'|d>
    <d'|k> = <d'|k>
    (Sum over d)

This happens since the eigenstates are orthogonal (I'm assuming they're orthogonal)
    The probability is then |<d'|k>|^2

Do you understand what I have done here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook