Quantum Mechanics related to fusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum mechanics and its relation to fusion, specifically in the context of studying plasma physics. The speakers mention using equations and solutions to understand the mechanism of fusion and provide links to helpful resources on the subject. One speaker expresses their desire to study fusion in detail, but is unsure of the best approach due to their lack of a physics background. The other speaker suggests studying plasma physics as a more suitable path.
Deepak247
I just want to know the Quantum Mechanics on the fusion of two atoms (let's say of 2 hydrogen atoms)...

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone describe by some equation or some solution as to show the mechanism which represents fusion?

Actually I was looking at topics in Quantum mechanics which may help me study fusion...

This may be more useful:

http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.co.uk/pdf/0-19-856264-0.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to study fusion in detail but don't have a bachelors in physics background...
Someone told me to study quantum mechanics first then particle physics but Plasma physics is more suitable than particle physics for fusion...

Can someone guide me as to how to carry on my study...am i right until now?

Study plasma physics.

1. What is quantum mechanics and how does it relate to fusion?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is relevant to fusion because it helps us understand the behavior of particles and their interactions in the high-energy environment of a fusion reactor.

2. How does quantum mechanics impact the process of fusion?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in the process of fusion by describing the behavior of particles in the extreme conditions of a fusion reaction. It helps us understand the behavior of particles at high temperatures and pressures, and how they interact to produce a fusion reaction.

3. What is the role of quantum mechanics in determining the stability of a fusion reactor?

Quantum mechanics is essential in determining the stability of a fusion reactor. It helps us understand the behavior of particles and their interactions, which are crucial in controlling the plasma and preventing instabilities that could disrupt the fusion process.

4. How does quantum mechanics impact our ability to control and sustain a fusion reaction?

Quantum mechanics is crucial in our ability to control and sustain a fusion reaction. It helps us understand the behavior of particles and their interactions, which are essential in controlling the plasma and maintaining the necessary conditions for fusion to occur continuously.

5. What are some current challenges in using quantum mechanics to advance fusion research?

Some of the challenges in using quantum mechanics to advance fusion research include the complexity of the equations involved, the need for advanced computational methods, and the difficulty in accurately predicting and controlling the behavior of particles in extreme conditions. Additionally, experimental validation of quantum mechanics in fusion reactions is also a challenge.