1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics Simulations - Project

1. Jan 6, 2016 #1
    Hello.
    I am not too sure if this thread is the right place to post this in. But anyway.

I have to make a project for my final year, and I have chosen to make a quantum mechanics based project. I am thinking of doing some quantum mechanics based simulations, give a little bit of history of actual experiments related to those simulations, and their philosophical implications.

My question, generally put, is: How do I go about doing it? Meaning, what 'things' (softwares, websites, et al) should I use? What kind of simulations/experiments would be best suited for my project?

Secondly, have you ever done a quantum mechanics based project? If so, what was it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2016 #2
    Quantum mechanics is pretty broad. If you are new to the topic, I'd recommend doing something basic at first, like finding the eigenstates of a square well.

4. Jan 6, 2016 #3
    Another possibility is to compute the transmission and reflection coefficients of a wavefunction tunneling through a potential barrier. If you know how to program in C/C++ or java you can make a graphical display of such a process.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted