Order of rotations due to torque in 3DOF in simulations

In summary, the author is asking how to rotate a symmetrical rigid body so that it has the same orientation at each time step, given that the body experiences torque in the global x, y, and z axes. The author suggests using a rotation matrix, but notes that this may not be the only orientation the body will have after experiencing torque. If the body also experiences forces at its center of gravity, this may complicate the rotation matrix further.
zonexo
TL;DR Summary
What is the orientation of a body rotating in 3 axes after t=1sec, using very small rotations to each time step
Hi,

I am running a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation. Supposed I have a symmetrical rigid body in space experiencing torque in the global x,y,z axes. It is stationary at t = 0. I also constrain it to only allow rotations in 3DOFs, and no translation.

It will rotate and I need to know its orientation after t = 1s.

Each time step is 1e-5s. And I can get the torque at each time step. So 1st I need to obtain the angular accelerations (alpha) in the global x,y,z axes. I understand that torque folllows: torque_x/y/z = I_xx/yy/zz*alpha_x/y/z

So I can get alpha_x/y/z. Then I can then get the auglar vel and the angle rotated.

But how should I rotate the body to its new orientation at each time step? If I'm using rotational matrix R_x, R_y, R_z (or even quaterions), should the total rotation matrix by R_x*R_y*R_z or R_z*R_y*R_x? Because I thought matrices are not commutative, so would the body get a different orientation if I use different combinations? But there should only be a single correction orientation after the body experienced torque combination in the 3 axes.

At each time step (1e-5s), the angles rotated are small, so does it mean the rotation matrics can be commutative and so it doesn't matter?

Supposed at each time step, the angles at each axis are rotated 0.0001deg, what will be the final orientation of the body at t = 1s? Will it be the same as either using R_x*R_y*R_z or R_z*R_y*R_x and rotating by 10deg (since 0.0001*10000 time steps = 10deg)?

Lastly, if I also include forces acting at the body's CG, would it make any difference to the above rotation formulation (besides the body translating to a new position)?

Hope someone can clarify my doubts. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
zonexo said:
1st I need to obtain the angular accelerations (alpha) in the global x,y,z axes. I understand that torque folllows: torque_x/y/z = I_xx/yy/zz*alpha_x/y/z
Careful here: I_xx/yy/zz is usually given in the local system of the body, where it is constant. Make sure you are not mixing global and local systems in this equation.

zonexo said:
Then I can then get the auglar vel and the angle rotated.

But how should I rotate the body to its new orientation at each time step?
The angular velocity is a vector, which is along the instantaneous rotation axis. So you need something to convert from axis-angle to matrix or to quaternion:
https://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/geometry/rotations/conversions/angleToMatrix/index.htm
https://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/geometry/rotations/conversions/angleToQuaternion/index.htm

Likes berkeman

1. What is torque in 3DOF simulations?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In 3DOF simulations, torque is used to calculate the rotational movement of an object in three dimensions.

2. How is torque applied in 3DOF simulations?

Torque is applied to an object by a force acting at a distance from the axis of rotation. The magnitude of the torque is equal to the force multiplied by the distance from the axis.

3. What is the order of rotations due to torque in 3DOF simulations?

The order of rotations due to torque in 3DOF simulations is determined by the direction and magnitude of the applied torque. The object will rotate in the direction of the torque, and the magnitude of the rotation will depend on the magnitude of the torque.

4. How is torque represented in 3DOF simulations?

Torque is typically represented as a vector in 3DOF simulations, with the direction of the vector indicating the axis of rotation and the magnitude representing the strength of the torque.

5. What are some applications of torque in 3DOF simulations?

Torque is commonly used in simulations to model the movement of objects in space, such as satellites or spacecraft. It is also used in robotics and virtual reality simulations to accurately simulate the movement of objects in three dimensions.