1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics - Superposition of Wavefunctions?

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The wavefunction for a particle in one dimension is given by
    ψ1. Another state the particle may be in is ψ2. A third state the particle could be in is ψ3.

Looking at the wavefunctions, ψ3 is ψ1 and ψ2 added together.

Is the probability of being in a given interval in ψ3 the same as the separate probabilities for ψ1 and ψ2 for that interval?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really understand how superposition works. I read something about the ψ's being linear, so a linear combination of ψ1 and ψ2 (ie. ψ3) is still a solution to the Schrodinger equation.

Is the superposition state a completely different state still though? I don't get why I am being asked this question. If it's a mixture of the two states, the probabilities would change wouldn't they? I don't see the link here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Suppose the particle is in the state ψ1 and say the probability of finding it in the interval a ≤ x ≤ b is p1. Similarly, suppose the particle is in the state ψ2 and the corresponding probability is p2, and likewise for state ψ3.

The question is asking you, I believe, if it's true that p3 = p1 + p2.

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    Thanks! I believe you're right.

In general, I don't think p3 = p1 + P2.

I don't think I could explain why though. I just don't see WHY those would be equal, because although state 3 is a superposition, it is still a new state is it not? Is there some situation in which p3 = p1 + P2 is true?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook