Quantum Mechanics - Superposition of Wavefunctions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics and how it relates to the probability of finding a particle in a given interval. It is explained that the superposition state, ψ3, is a linear combination of two other states, ψ1 and ψ2, and is still a solution to the Schrodinger equation. However, it is questioned whether the probability in ψ3 is the same as the separate probabilities in ψ1 and ψ2. While it is possible for p3 to equal p1 + p2, this is not always the case and it is not fully understood why.
pearapple

Homework Statement

The wavefunction for a particle in one dimension is given by
ψ1. Another state the particle may be in is ψ2. A third state the particle could be in is ψ3.

Looking at the wavefunctions, ψ3 is ψ1 and ψ2 added together.

Is the probability of being in a given interval in ψ3 the same as the separate probabilities for ψ1 and ψ2 for that interval?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand how superposition works. I read something about the ψ's being linear, so a linear combination of ψ1 and ψ2 (ie. ψ3) is still a solution to the Schrodinger equation.

Is the superposition state a completely different state still though? I don't get why I am being asked this question. If it's a mixture of the two states, the probabilities would change wouldn't they? I don't see the link here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the particle is in the state ψ1 and say the probability of finding it in the interval a ≤ x ≤ b is p1. Similarly, suppose the particle is in the state ψ2 and the corresponding probability is p2, and likewise for state ψ3.

The question is asking you, I believe, if it's true that p3 = p1 + p2.

Thanks! I believe you're right.

In general, I don't think p3 = p1 + P2.

I don't think I could explain why though. I just don't see WHY those would be equal, because although state 3 is a superposition, it is still a new state is it not? Is there some situation in which p3 = p1 + P2 is true?

1. What is superposition in the context of quantum mechanics?

Superposition is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the ability of a particle to exist in multiple states or positions simultaneously. This means that a particle can be in two or more places at the same time, or have multiple properties at once. This concept is often illustrated using the famous thought experiment known as Schrödinger's cat.

2. How does superposition relate to wavefunctions in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a wavefunction represents the probability amplitude of a particle being in a particular state. Superposition occurs when multiple wavefunctions are combined, resulting in a new wavefunction that describes the particle's probability of being in a superposition of states.

3. Can superposition be observed in real life?

Yes, superposition has been observed in experiments involving quantum systems such as photons and atoms. However, on a macroscopic scale, the effects of superposition are usually not noticeable due to the phenomenon of decoherence. This is when a quantum system interacts with its environment, causing it to lose its superposition and behave according to classical laws.

4. How does the measurement process affect superposition?

When a measurement is made on a quantum system, it causes the wavefunction to collapse into a single state. This means that the particle's properties become definite and the superposition is no longer present. The exact mechanism of this collapse is still a topic of debate in quantum mechanics.

5. What are some applications of superposition in quantum mechanics?

Superposition has many practical applications in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. In quantum computing, superposition allows for the manipulation of multiple states simultaneously, leading to faster and more efficient computations. In quantum cryptography, superposition is used to encode information in a way that makes it impossible for an eavesdropper to intercept without being noticed. In quantum sensing, superposition is used to enhance the precision and sensitivity of measurements.