1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics - Supplemental text?

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1
    Quantum Mechanics -- Supplemental text?

Hello,

I'm currently in a quantum mechanics class (undergraduate) that is using Griffiths Intro to Quantum Mechanics (second edition). I've taken solid state physics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, among other physics classes, but have found that Griffiths provides too few examples for me to adequately tackle the problems in the textbook. Can anyone recommend a problem-solving oriented quantum mechanics guide or supplement that can help me out? Thanks.

Best,
    Anthony

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2009 #2
    Re: Quantum Mechanics -- Supplemental text?

I know a friend who successfully used Schuam's Outline of Quantum Mechanics... But I'd recommend that you go back and do the problems in Griffiths as the majority of those problems teach you something new about the subject as well.

4. Sep 8, 2009 #3

Try "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Shankar. =) Its approach might be different from Griffiths since it gives you the bra-ket formalism right at the start, but I find it to be the best introductory QM book around.

Or try to review your differential equations / orthogonal functions (under linear algebra) again, Griffiths uses a lot of that. I also had the same problem as yours with his book but I finally figured out that I needed to refresh myself with those mathematical topics.

Hope this helps. Goodluck!

5. Sep 8, 2009 #4

Personally I think Shankar's text is a bit more difficult than Griffiths'. If you can solve the problems in Griffiths' book then Shankar might be out of reach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook