Quantum Mechanics Textbooks: Alternatives to Sakurai

• Quantum
  • Thread starter Silicon-Based
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sakurai
In summary, there are several alternatives to Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" textbook, including "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Ramamurti Shankar, and "Quantum Mechanics: A Paradigms Approach" by David McIntyre and Corinne A. Manogue. The most comprehensive textbooks for learning quantum mechanics are subjective and may vary depending on the individual's learning style, but "Quantum Mechanics" by Albert Messiah and "Quantum Mechanics: Non-Relativistic Theory" by L.D. Landau and E.M. Lifshitz are often considered to be highly comprehensive and rigorous. There are also several textbooks specifically geared towards beginners in quantum
Silicon-Based
The assigned textbook for my quantum mechanics class is Sakurai, but I find it too concise and struggle to solve any of the problems. I feel like I understood very little so far because of it and am looking for some alternatives/supplements. Currently I'm torn between Townsend, Ballentine, and Shankar. Which one would you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Personal preferences are very, well, personal. Why don't you go to your university library and sit down with each for 20 minutes? You'll find which speak to you.

Likes Edgardo and vanhees71

1. What are some alternative textbooks to Sakurai for learning quantum mechanics?

Some alternative textbooks to Sakurai for learning quantum mechanics include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili, and "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie E. Ballentine.

2. Are these alternative textbooks suitable for beginners?

Yes, these alternative textbooks are suitable for beginners. They provide a solid foundation in the basic principles of quantum mechanics and gradually build upon them.

3. How do these alternative textbooks differ from Sakurai's textbook?

These alternative textbooks may differ from Sakurai's in terms of their approach to teaching quantum mechanics, the level of mathematical rigor, and the inclusion of additional topics or applications.

4. Which alternative textbook is the most comprehensive?

The most comprehensive alternative textbook may vary depending on personal preference, but "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie E. Ballentine is often considered to be a comprehensive and in-depth textbook.

5. Can I use these alternative textbooks as a reference for advanced topics in quantum mechanics?

Yes, these alternative textbooks can serve as a useful reference for advanced topics in quantum mechanics. However, it is important to note that they may not cover all advanced topics in the same level of detail as Sakurai's textbook.