Quantum Mechanics Textbook Suggestion

In summary, the OP is a third-year mechanical engineering major looking for suggestions on a Quantum Mechanics textbook. They have completed an introductory physics course and have a good understanding of special relativity and various math courses. They are hoping to find a comprehensive and well-written textbook that is slightly above their skill level. A recommended option is "Quantum Mechanics" by Konishi & Paffuti, which covers a wide range of topics and has 150 pages of appendices. Another option is "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Zettili, which has complete derivations but may be lacking in some concepts. The OP can borrow these books from the library to see if they meet their needs.
James98765
I'm currently on the searching for a Quantum Mechanics textbook. Does anybody have suggestions for me? Below is a brief description of myself to explain my education level:

I am a thrid year mechanical engineering major. I'm about to complete Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach by Randall D. Knight. I have only studied the introductory topics of one dimensional quantum mechanics and some atomic structure concepts. Additionally, I have a good grasp on special relativity. My math experience includes single variable calculus, multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and introductory differential equations.

I am hoping to find a textbook that is very comphrensive, a little above my skill level, and well written.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The OP has only taken, so I gather, a calculus based general physics course. I don't know if it's a good idea to jump straight into a proper QM book. But who knows. You can borrow the books from the library and see if they are what you want first.

1. What is the best quantum mechanics textbook for beginners?

The best quantum mechanics textbook for beginners is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. It provides a clear and comprehensive introduction to the subject, with easy-to-understand explanations and examples.

2. What are some advanced quantum mechanics textbooks for further study?

Some advanced quantum mechanics textbooks for further study include "Quantum Mechanics: Principles and Formalism" by Roy McWeeny and "Quantum Mechanics" by Albert Messiah. These textbooks cover more advanced topics and mathematical formalism in detail.

3. Are there any online resources for learning quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning quantum mechanics, such as video lectures, online courses, and interactive simulations. Some popular websites include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Quantum Mechanics for Everyone.

4. What is the difference between a graduate level quantum mechanics textbook and an undergraduate level textbook?

A graduate level quantum mechanics textbook will typically cover more advanced topics and mathematical formalism in greater detail. It may also assume a higher level of mathematical and physics knowledge from the reader. Undergraduate level textbooks are more introductory and focus on building foundational understanding of the subject.

5. What are some recommended textbooks for self-study of quantum mechanics?

Some recommended textbooks for self-study of quantum mechanics include "Quantum Mechanics" by Eugen Merzbacher and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. These textbooks provide clear explanations and examples, and often include practice problems for self-assessment.