1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics Textbooks Problem

1. Dec 24, 2014 #1
    Hi everybody,

I am currently a Junior in college studying Physics. I am planning on going to Graduate School, which obviously requires the GREs. I have looked up that the physics GRE is 12% Quantum Mechanics (as per this source here). However, how my University is set up, I will not be able to take Quantum Mechanics 1 in time. That is, I will be about half way done the semester of Quantum Mechanics when I have to take the Physics GRE.

I was planning on trying to teach myself some of it (Hopefully enough to do well on the GRE). I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for textbooks. I am looking for a textbook that will aide in my personal studies of Quantum Mechanics to prepare for the GRE. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As I said, I am a junior in college, so I should be okay with the math (All calculus courses, ordinary differential equations, linear algebra, etc.). I have also taken Classical Mechanics 1 (Lagrangians, Hamiltonians, etc.) and Electricity and Magnetism 1.

Any suggestions on textbooks would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2014 #2
    Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths is good for GRE purposes. Also, due to atomic physics relying on quantum a lot, studying Griffiths will help for about a quarter of the test. Because of this and other special topics, quantum really makes up 25% of the test.

4. Dec 24, 2014 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Looking at the GRE practice tests, I think you might want to consider something more like Eisberg and Resnick. The test asks a lot of QM applications problems and relatively few problems on formalism.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook