Quantum mechanics, zero point energy

In summary: You're forgetting that \sin(\omega L) can vanish for certain values of \omega L. Instead of concluding c_1=0, we conclude that \omega and hence the energy E is contained within some finite range.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Estimate the zero point energy of an electron confined into a region of [tex]10^{-14}m[/tex] which is around the magnitude of the nucleus. Compare this energy with the potential energy between a proton and an electron and the gravitational potential energy with the same distance [tex]10^{-14}m[/tex]. Discuss on the possibility that an electron can be found inside a nucleus.

Homework Equations

[tex]E_p_1=-\frac{ke^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]E_p_2=-\frac{Gm_em_p}{r}[/tex].
[tex]\int _{0}^{10^{-14}} |\Psi (x)|^2dx=1[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I must find that the zero point energy of the electron is greater than both the potential energy gravitational and Coulombian and so there's a possibility to find it inside a nucleus.

What I've done is to write the time independent Schrodinger's equation with a potential function V(x)=0. Because I assumed that there were walls of potential surrounding the electron and inside the region its potential would be 0.
The solution to Schrodinger's equation gave me [tex]\Psi (x)=c_1 e^{-\frac{2m_eEx}{\hbar}} + c_2[/tex]. Just to be sure, the equation I "solved" is [tex]-\frac{\hbar}{2m_e} \frac{d^2 \Psi}{dx^2}=E\Psi[/tex].
But I'm not given any initial conditions, maybe only contour conditions...
I need some help in order to find [tex]c_1[/tex] and [tex]c_2[/tex].

Then I guess I must see if [tex]|\Psi |^2[/tex] is normalized by evaluating [tex]\int _{0}^{10^{-14}} |\Psi (x)| ^2dx[/tex] and it must equal to 1?
If it's not, I just multiply [tex]\Psi[/tex] by a constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the electron is confined to the box, what must be the value of the wavefunction evaluated on the sides of the box?

Also, this is technically a 3D problem, you should make some assumptions about the geometry and set up the proper integrals to compute normalizations and expectation values. You're also missing something in your solution since it's not periodic.

Thanks a lot for your help.
fzero said:
If the electron is confined to the box, what must be the value of the wavefunction evaluated on the sides of the box?
Like at any other point: zero I believe.

Also, this is technically a 3D problem, you should make some assumptions about the geometry and set up the proper integrals to compute normalizations and expectation values.
I agree the problem should be a 3D one, but since they give the value [tex]10^{-14}m[/tex], I think they meant a 1D problem.
You're also missing something in your solution since it's not periodic.
Oh damn it...
Is the equation to solve equivalent to [tex]\Psi ''-\frac{E}{K} \Psi =0[/tex] with [tex]K=-\frac{\hbar}{2m_e}[/tex]? If so I'll recheck what I've done.

fluidistic said:
Thanks a lot for your help.
Like at any other point: zero I believe.

OK, so that's your boundary condition.

I agree the problem should be a 3D o
ne, but since they give the value [tex]10^{-14}m[/tex], I think they meant a 1D problem.

It's possible, especially if you haven't covered the hydrogen atom yet.

Oh damn it...
Is the equation to solve equivalent to [tex]\Psi ''-\frac{E}{K} \Psi =0[/tex] with [tex]K=-\frac{\hbar}{2m_e}[/tex]? If so I'll recheck what I've done.

Writing it that way will only get you in trouble. The equation is

[tex]\Psi ''= -\omega^2 \Psi[/tex] with [tex]\omega= \sqrt{\frac{2m_eE}{\hbar}},[/tex]

which has periodic solutions.

Last edited:
fzero said:
OK, so that's your boundary condition.

It's possible, especially if you haven't covered the hydrogen atom yet.

Writing it that way will only get you in trouble. The equation is

[tex]\Psi ''= -\omega^2 \Psi =0[/tex] with [tex]\omega= \sqrt{\frac{2m_eE}{\hbar}},[/tex]

which has periodic solutions.
Thanks once again.
How did you know that [tex]\Psi '' =0[/tex] and further, that it's also worth [tex]-\omega ^2 \Psi[/tex]?

Ok I'll work on the solutions.

fluidistic said:
Thanks once again.
How did you know that [tex]\Psi '' =0[/tex] and further, that it's also worth [tex]-\omega ^2 \Psi[/tex]?

Sorry that was a typo that I've now fixed. I was editing one of your equations and forgot to delete the =0 part.

fzero said:
Sorry that was a typo that I've now fixed. I was editing one of your equations and forgot to delete the =0 part.
Ok I see.
I reached [tex]\Psi (x)=c_1 sin (\omega x) + c_2 \cos (\omega x)[/tex].
With the boundary condition [tex]\Psi (0)=0[/tex], I get that [tex]c_2=0[/tex].

My problem is with the other boundary condition, namely [tex]\Psi (10^{-14})=0[/tex].
It gives [tex]c_1 \sin (\omega \cdot 10^{-14})=0 \Rightarrow c_1=0[/tex] and thus [tex]\Psi (x)=0 \forall x[/tex].

fluidistic said:
Ok I see.
I reached [tex]\Psi (x)=c_1 sin (\omega x) + c_2 \cos (\omega x)[/tex].
With the boundary condition [tex]\Psi (0)=0[/tex], I get that [tex]c_2=0[/tex].

My problem is with the other boundary condition, namely [tex]\Psi (10^{-14})=0[/tex].
It gives [tex]c_1 \sin (\omega \cdot 10^{-14})=0 \Rightarrow c_1=0[/tex] and thus [tex]\Psi (x)=0 \forall x[/tex].

You're forgetting that [tex]\sin(\omega L)[/tex] can vanish for certain values of [tex]\omega L[/tex]. Instead of concluding [tex]c_1=0[/tex], we conclude that [tex]\omega[/tex] and hence the energy [tex]E[/tex] is quantized.

fzero said:
You're forgetting that [tex]\sin(\omega L)[/tex] can vanish for certain values of [tex]\omega L[/tex]. Instead of concluding [tex]c_1=0[/tex], we conclude that [tex]\omega[/tex] and hence the energy [tex]E[/tex] is quantized.

You're absolutely right.
I get [tex]10^{-14}\omega =n \pi[/tex] with [tex]n\in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]. Taking n=1 for ground state, I get [tex]E_0=\frac{10^{24}\pi ^2 \hbar}{2 m_e}\approx 7.7 \times 10 ^{24}J[/tex] which is obviously way too large. I'll recheck my arithmetics.

Hmm can someone help me fixing my error? I've redone the arithmetics and still find this ridiculous answer.
Edit: I think I made a mistake writing down Schrodinger's equation. There should be a hbar squared term instead of just hbar...

Edit 2: I found out that the zero point energy is around [tex]2.37 \times 10 ^{-8}J[/tex] (still enormous to me, what do you say?), while the Coulombian potential energy is of the order of [tex]10^{-14}J[/tex] and the gravitational potential energy if of the order of [tex]10^{-53}J[/tex]. Now how does this imply that an electron can be found inside a nucleus, I have no idea.

Last edited:

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of these particles and their interactions.

2. What is zero point energy?

Zero point energy is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system may have. This energy exists even in a vacuum, where all other forms of energy are absent. It is also known as the ground state energy.

3. How does zero point energy relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the uncertainty principle states that there is always some minimum amount of energy present in a system, even at its lowest possible energy state. This minimum energy is known as zero point energy and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

4. What are the applications of zero point energy?

Zero point energy has potential applications in various fields, such as quantum computing, nanotechnology, and energy harvesting. It is also being studied for its potential in creating stable quantum states for use in communication and encryption.

5. Is zero point energy a renewable energy source?

No, zero point energy cannot be harnessed as a renewable energy source because it is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics and is present in all systems. It is not a source of energy that can be extracted or replenished.