Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum music

1. Apr 1, 2015 #1

Demystifier

Science Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2015 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

And I bet that you carefully paced your activity here so that you could make this one your 5000th, right? :smile:

4. Apr 1, 2015 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

Looks like dBB has been falsified!

5. Apr 1, 2015 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Of course I did, but don't believe me what I say today! o0)

6. Apr 1, 2015 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Not very surprising, given that the same day last year we had a proof that many worlds are right (see the closed thread linked in the first post above).

Still, can you elaborate a bit?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  7. Apr 1, 2015 #6

atyy

Science Advisor

Maybe MWI has also been falsified.

"If a classical auditorium listens to the quantum musical state ##| \psi\rangle## in Eq. 1, then the individual listeners may perceive ##| \psi\rangle## very differently; that is, they will hear only a single one of the different tones with probabilities ##|\alpha_{c}|^{2}##, ##|\alpha_{d}|^{2}##, . . ., and ##|\alpha_{b}|^{2}##, respectively."

8. Apr 1, 2015 #7

Demystifier

Science Advisor

You are right, the only interpretation that remains consistent with this crucial insight is the QMI (quantum music interpretation). This implies the equation
    QM=QM
    (quantum mechanics = quantum music). Dividing by Q, this gives
    M=M
    (mechanics = music) which proves that Einstein was very close to the truth (because he played violline), while Feynman was not (sounds created by drums cannot really be considered a music).

Remarkably, the same result can also be obtained in a totally different way. From the famous equation
    ER=EPR
    (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ER=EPR ) one finds
    P=1
    which means that the probability P that Einstein and Rosen (ER) are right is P=1. But Einstein and Rosen agreed on everything (note ER on both sides of the ER=EPR equation), so this reduces to the conclusion that probability that Einstein alone was right is equal to one. In other words, Einstein was right. Q.E.D.

9. Apr 1, 2015 #8

atyy

Science Advisor

But what if Q=0?

Or if E=0 or R=0, then P can have any value?

Maybe that can be excluded by considering ##a|0\rangle=0##?

10. Apr 1, 2015 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Am I the only one who wants to hear a quantum music piece? Hmm, I guess I could make a small computer program that simulates it...

11. Apr 1, 2015 #10
    That could be interesting. I'd like to see what you come up with if you find the time to do it.
    I suspect though that it wouldn't sound the slightest bit like 'music' as defined in any cultural context.
    More likely white noise is my guess.

12. Apr 1, 2015 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It would be interesting if I took two famous pieces and entangled them :biggrin:

13. Apr 1, 2015 #12

atyy

Science Advisor

14. Apr 1, 2015 #13
    This post is not a joke :wink::
    http://www.dubbhism.com/2008/11/quantum-hall-effects-impulse-responses.html [Broken]

EDIT: My note: IR means impulse response(s), which are used in convolution reverbs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  15. Apr 2, 2015 #14

Demystifier

Science Advisor

The following paper appeared today (April 2nd), but contains an explicit comment that it was submitted at April 1st. So it deserves a full attention here:
    http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1504.00108

This is not merely a joke, but also has a deeper message ...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  16. Apr 2, 2015 #15

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

A careful scrutiny of the footnotes is essential for a full appreciation of this paper.

17. Apr 2, 2015 #16
    E.g.
    :DD

18. Aug 18, 2015 #17

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook